When decorating the interior of the bathroom, I want to do everything as beautifully as possible. When installing plumbing, it is almost impossible to avoid the small gaps that remain between the appliance and the wall. A bathroom curb is considered a quick way to seal and fill in any gaps. Once installed, the bathroom will look complete and attractive. Curbs differ in the type of material and installation technology.
- 1 Why gaps form and why are bathroom bumpers needed
- 2 Bathroom curb: the main types of products
- 3 Characteristics and basic properties of ceramic bath corners
- 4 How to glue a bathroom corner correctly, which glue is better to use
Why gaps form and why are bathroom bumpers needed
It is not always possible to make a perfectly flat wall, especially if embossed ceramic tiles are used to decorate the bathroom. In most cases, during repairs, small gaps are formed along the side of the bathroom or sink. The appearance of even a small gap will not only spoil the neat appearance of any room, but will also cause moisture to enter hard-to-reach areas. The constant penetration of moisture leads to the fact that a fungus begins to multiply in the bathroom, which causes an unpleasant odor.
Helpful advice! Most plumbers focus on the fact that you need to eliminate gaps, the width of which is 1.5 mm or more. And the corner for the bathroom from leaking allows you to remove cracks up to 6 cm wide.
A bathroom border is a continuous sealed strip or tape that tightly closes the gap between the wall and the plumbing fixture. After the installation of the structure, the formation of constant humidity under the bath is prevented, thereby reducing the likelihood of mold development. Even if there are rounded corners in the room, as is often found in the layouts of old panel houses, or just curved surfaces, then after making a border in the bathroom against the wall, all the flaws will disappear and the room will acquire a finished and neat appearance.
Sometimes you can find tips on the network, where they offer to do without a corner in the bathroom, in this case it is recommended to move the bowl of the plumbing fixture as close to the wall as possible, and then lay ceramic tiles or tiles in such a way that the bottom row of masonry is close to the side of the bath.It is important to understand that this method is only suitable if the option of displacing the device is completely excluded. If for some reason subsidence occurs, an inaccurate gap will appear near the wall, which will still have to be eliminated.
How to choose the right bath curb size
Other reasons leading to the formation of a gap include a violation of the sequence of the facing of the room. Many plumbers adhere to the rule that the installation of the bath should be carried out only after the completion of the floor leveling work, but before tiling the walls. It is with this sequence of works that the probability of a gap formation will be minimal. If the installation is carried out in a different way, the likelihood of the formation of a large gap increases several times and the defect can be eliminated only after the curb is installed.
How to install a border and how to choose it correctly? The dimensions of the plinth should be determined at the stage of repair. The length depends on the specific features of the room and bath:
- if you want to install a ceramic border, its length is determined by the width of the tile;
- if plastic - depending on the length of the bath.
The width of the side and the order of work will depend on the size of the gap that needs to be closed:
- Narrow gap up to 3 mm. It is better to pre-fill the gap with a sealant before installing the side.
- A considerable distance - 0.3-2.5 cm. In such a situation, the gap is first filled with polyurethane foam, after which the optimal width of the corner for the bath is selected.
- The maximum gap is 2.5-6 cm. To remove such a gap, you will need to tinker a lot. First, you need to fill the gap with concrete mortar into the previously prepared formwork, and then select the tape of the maximum width.
Important! To completely close the gap, the width of the curb should be 3 times the width of the gap. This value will be enough to place 2/3 of the tape on the side and leave the same amount on the wall.
In short, for the correct choice of material, one should rely on the following criteria:
- Surface finishing material. For example, if the walls are made with PVC panels, then it is recommended to choose the border from the same material.
- Bath cover type. Obviously, it is better to use an acrylic skirting board for a bathtub made of acrylic.
- Width and configuration features of the gap. If the gap is significant, it is better to install a plastic border in the form of a corner.
- Allocated budget for bathroom renovation. Thanks to modern technology, some inexpensive polymer skirting boards are as good as more expensive mineral baseboards in terms of quality and performance.
Bathroom curb: the main types of products
Almost every trading platform offers the buyer a wide selection of skirting boards for the bathroom, each of which has its own advantages and disadvantages. Regardless of the version of the product, the following requirements are put forward for it:
- Waterproof. Certainly, the main characteristic that should be characteristic of the border.
- Simple installation. It is better when all parts and adhesive mixtures necessary for high-quality installation are included with the product.
- Easy care. The corner must be resistant to active detergents and must not be damaged by the slightest mechanical impact.
- Good performance. It is required that the material is not affected and spread by fungal spores and does not deform after a short period of time.
At points of sale, there is a large selection of sides for a bath, and conditionally they can be divided into 2 large groups:
- Tough. Presented in a large assortment, a characteristic feature is the absence of an adhesive layer on the back. When buying a product, you need to take into account that you will need to use silicone for fixing.
- Self-adhesive. They are flexible tape, on the other side of which an adhesive mixture is applied, which ensures the most simple installation.
Helpful advice! With regard to instructions on how to properly install the border, most craftsmen will advise using a self-adhesive border only when the gap does not exceed a few millimeters. If the gap is more than 1 cm wide, it is better to give preference to a solid baseboard.
If the gap is large, the installation of a hard skirting board provides a longer and more effective protection. But this kind of border is installed only in the case of a constant, stable position of the bowl. If the bath changes its position under load, it is better to close the inconsistencies with a soft adhesive tape, characterized by plasticity.
Main characteristics of plastic bathroom corners
The plastic skirting board for the bathroom is made on the basis of polyvinyl chloride. Thanks to this, installation will be much easier than when buying products from other materials. This type of curb is easiest to install yourself without the use of special tools. Another advantage of the installation is the ability to reuse the product if it is necessary to change the location of the bath. Among the main advantages of buying PVC borders for baths are:
- The ability to resist the appearance and spread of fungus.
- A wide range of colors, allowing you to purchase a suitable option for any type of surface. Various types of bumpers are capable of imitating wood and tiled surfaces.
- Resistance to various types of mechanical damage. However, even this type of curb is not recommended to be cleaned with strong abrasives.
The mounted plastic skirting does not require any special maintenance, and is also universal, because it is easy to choose an option for any material used for wall decoration. An important advantage for users is the affordable price of the product, which is affordable for most buyers.
Important! A significant and almost the only drawback of a plastic skirting board in a bathroom is considered to be its short service life and the inability to provide the required tightness when deformed.
With regard to user characteristics, the installation of the curb is carried out using silicone or construction glue, the second name of which is “liquid nails”. Products of various sizes are available for purchase, because there are no specific standards regarding parameters. All accessories required for installation are included with the product. This includes side caps and docking corners for interior corner spaces.
For a reliable and high-quality fit to the side of the plumbing, some products have rubberized edges. Products are also considered versatile, because they can be glued in two ways:
- Outside. In this case, the installation is carried out after laying the tiles on the walls.
- Interior. Installation is carried out between the wall and the bathroom under the tiles. To make it look beautiful, it is better to entrust the mount to a person with experience. In the absence of skills, it may not be possible to properly fix the bathroom corner under the tile, and after such an installation, there is a high probability of leaks.
The popularity of PVC boards is also ensured by a large selection of colors, various textures and shapes.So, if an oval-shaped bowl is installed in the bathroom, you should give preference to borders, which are characterized by increased elasticity and flexibility. If you want to create maximum tightness, it is better to purchase options with rubberized edges. The main advantage of rubber bath borders is that they can be used to seal not only bathtubs, but also sinks.
It is necessary to install the plastic curb after the gap between the wall and the bathroom is sealed with a sealant. This is recommended in order to prevent water from flowing under the bowl in case of peeling. The most common option is a PVC border-corner for a bathroom, because the product has a number of advantages, including:
- low cost and the ability to purchase at any outlet;
- the absence of a pre-applied adhesive, which allows you to independently choose the best quality glue for fixing;
- the possibility of using even with a small gap that remains between the side and the wall;
- providing additional fixation of the bath and the absence of the likelihood of displacement during vibration;
- high rates of moisture resistance.
What is the peculiarity of the acrylic border for the bathroom, other options for the sides
The acrylic border is mainly used to frame acrylic bathtubs. In terms of performance, the material is not inferior to other options. Among the main advantages are the main ones:
- light weight;
- ease of installation;
- long term of use;
- environmental friendliness of the material.
It is interesting! Over the past few years, the most popular are acrylic bathtubs with low cost, light weight and high consumer characteristics. It is for this reason that the acrylic border is also widespread, ideally combined with such bathtubs.
Before installing the curb, you need to familiarize yourself with some of the negative aspects of the products. For example, acrylic skirting boards are vulnerable to high temperatures, because products are characterized by a high coefficient of expansion. This means that after some time the frame may lose its elasticity, as a result of which the tightness will be broken.
An indirect negative point is the fact that the plinth needs to be fastened with an adhesive that increases the plasticity of the side, which to some extent reduces the rigidity of the product.
Some do not want to economize on bathroom furnishings and install natural stone curbs, which are designed not only to decorate the room, but also to emphasize the high status of the owners of the house. Of course, these products are distinguished not only by increased durability, but also by a very high price, which not everyone can afford.
Main advantages and disadvantages. Types and characteristics of the material. How to mount correctly, what is needed for this.
Due to their natural origin, stones have a significant advantage - a large selection of unusual colors and shades that will look stylish in any bathroom.
It is interesting! Bathtubs made of stone and, consequently, stone curbs are purchased for a long time, and are most often installed in private private houses in which there are no plans to update the interior for a long time. In any case, a stone bathtub skirting board is considered an exclusive product that is not intended for general sale.
What is a self-adhesive bathroom border
The curb tape is made on the basis of polyethylene, PVC or silicone. The product is a roll tape coated on one side with an adhesive, which is mainly butyl. Thanks to this, the side is securely fixed on the surface of the plumbing fixture or panel and performs the main task assigned to it - not to let water under the bathtub. Other advantages of self-adhesive skirting boards are:
- widespread availability and low cost;
- the ability to retain moisture;
- versatility, thanks to which you can fix the material not only in the bathroom, but also in the kitchen, bathhouse or sauna;
- simple installation, accessible to a person without experience;
- no need to purchase additional funds that improve the quality of sealing;
- pronounced plasticity, allowing the tape to neatly close various irregularities or other defects in the joints;
- the presence in the composition of the tape-border for the bath of special fungicides that provide protection against fungi;
- a wide variety of options and colors, which makes it possible to choose the ideal option for any surfaces and crevices of various sizes;
- high material resistance to mechanical wear and temperature extremes.
Before gluing the border to the bathtub, you should check the presence of plastic applicators in the kit, with the help of which it will be possible to attach the border to the surface as tightly as possible. These elements are also needed in order to get the right right angle.
As for the shortcomings of the products, the main one can be considered the short service life of the material, because even with careful use, it will have to be replaced in 3-5 years. The downside is also the rapid loss of color, especially for the white tape, which very quickly turns yellow and becomes stained. It is important to know that for the installation of a self-adhesive border it is categorically impossible to use an acid sealant, because it is not combined with the adhesive applied to the product.
Important! Due to the short service life, it is not recommended to lay the self-adhesive skirting board under the tiles - it is better to install it on the wall, since the skirting board will have to be replaced quite often.
Characteristics and basic properties of ceramic bath corners
It is recommended to purchase a side made of ceramics immediately complete with wall tiles in order to choose the ideal option. The main purpose of the corner remains the same - to close the gap left after installing the plumbing. You can install the tile curb as a side floor model or use it on the side. Due to the peculiarities of the material used in the manufacture, ceramic bath corners have the following advantages:
- long-term operation;
- high strength characteristics;
- waterproof base and the ability to reliably get rid of cracks and gaps;
- easy care due to the smooth surface;
- the ability to use a variety of detergents when washing, including abrasive;
- the ability to withstand temperature extremes and high humidity, which are constantly present in the bathroom;
- durability, allowing you to operate products without losing their appearance for 50 years;
- lack of reaction of the tile border to high humidity;
- complete incombustibility of products, because ceramics, unlike polymers, do not burn and do not emit dangerous toxins.
A relative disadvantage of bathroom curb tiles is the high cost, as well as the fact that the material is very fragile.Care should be taken when installing products, especially if you need to adjust the side to the desired size. Also, during operation, it is important to take into account that the plinth protrudes slightly beyond the surface of the bowl, which can lead to damage to an object falling on it.
Varieties of ceramic sides, their main advantages
Before choosing a ceramic bathroom border, it should be borne in mind that there are various product options:
- Pencil. In appearance, the collar resembles a thick cord, which is ideal for hiding small narrow seams or creating a beautiful side decoration for any furniture or plumbing fixture.
- Corner. It looks like a plinth, mainly used to hide large gaps between the walls and sides of the bathtub.
- Frieze. It is a small tile made in the form of a border. It is this variety that is most often used to frame bathtubs.
Helpful advice! Before you buy a ceramic border for the bathroom, you need to pay attention to the presence of the necessary parts in the kit. This includes internal and external corner elements that allow you to properly seal the gap between the plumbing and the wall, especially in hard-to-reach places.
Other characteristics to look out for:
- Installation can be carried out both under the tile and on its outer side after the completion of the facing work.
- Solid structure and high consumer qualities of the material prevent rapid wear of products and premature deformation.
- In the manufacture of ceramic sides, only environmentally friendly material of natural origin is used.
- The high strength of the ceramics guarantees that even with prolonged use, the skirting board will not lose its attractive appearance and retain its gloss, which is especially important if you purchase a white bathroom border.
- The ability to withstand low temperatures allows the use of ceramic skirting boards in poorly heated rooms. Clinker and porcelain tiles are completely capable of withstanding several freeze-thaw cycles.
How to glue a bathroom corner correctly, which glue is better to use
Most craftsmen install bath skirting boards with silicone sealant. Very often the seam darkens due to the fact that mold begins to develop in it. If such a situation occurs, it is recommended to completely dismantle the product, disinfect and degrease the surface, and then reinstall it.
Depending on the quality and composition of the sealant, the period before mold appears is 6 months to three years. In addition, this is influenced by the quality of ventilation and the intensity of the use of the bathroom. To prevent such a development of the situation, there are several ways out. For example, a special aquarium sealant should be applied before gluing the border to the bathtub. Due to the presence of antibacterial components in the composition, this adhesive does not bloom.
Aquarium sealant comes in transparent and white, is mainly sold in small cans and has a high price. But the long service life eliminates this disadvantage.
Another option is waterproof glue, which is slightly more expensive than ordinary glue, but much more reliable. If you use the glue strictly according to the instructions, it will last a long time, and fungi and mold will not multiply and spoil the appearance of the bathroom.
Important advice! If the border is attached to the surface of the acrylic bathtub, then before applying the sealant, it is imperative to fill the bowl with water as much as possible and leave it in this form until the adhesive has completely solidified. Otherwise, during operation, the sealant will move away, which is why a gap is formed.
A good, high-quality, but expensive sealant is considered a sealant, which is based on MS polymers with a hydrophobic effect. This allows the product to repel water even a year after application, while regular acrylic adhesive flows after 4-6 months.
Among polymer sealants, you can also find options with antibacterial components in the composition that prevent the appearance of fungi. Another advantage is considered to be high elasticity, even after drying, which allows the adhesive mixture to maintain its original position when moving heavy cast iron or metal baths.
Why the skirting board can come off and how to avoid the problem
Many users, after installing a tile border, note that after a short time, partial or complete peeling of the tape occurs. This happens due to constant vibrations and small displacements of baths or showers, which occur when filling water and while inside a person.
No matter how carefully you use the bath, there will still be minimal plumbing movements. This is especially noticeable in the presence of light acrylic bathtubs and showers, from which the border usually falls off faster than from steel or cast iron bowls.
To avoid such a problem, you need to know how to glue the border in the bathroom correctly. If we are talking about a PVC product, then glue the plinth only to the plane of the wall. In this case, it will be possible to avoid leaks into the gap between the bathroom and the wall. The lower part of the rim should be pressed as tightly as possible to the surface of the bathtub to minimize water ingress.
With this installation option, the movement of the plumbing will be compensated by the elasticity of the curb, and the product itself will adhere tightly to the wall surface. Another reliable option is the same MS-based sealant, which is more suitable for metal baths than for acrylic ones.
Another common problem when using PVC skirting boards is the appearance of an unpleasant odor from under the plastic. The cause of this problem is the microscopic gaps remaining after installation, where a small amount of moisture penetrates. Wet and dark areas are ideal breeding grounds for pathogens. That is why it is strongly recommended to fill the gap with a sealant before installing any skirting board, even if the curb manufacturer does not suggest doing this.
How to properly attach a tile border to a bathtub
The ceramic tile board consists of straight, end and corner elements. The required number of straight parts depends on the parameters of the bath bowl or tray. Experts recommend taking one more straight part so that there is at least a minimum margin for trimming. With the traditional installation of the bath, the corners and ends will need 2 each. If we are talking about a standard rectangular shower, it will be enough to take one element each.
Before buying, it is recommended to carefully check all the components, not only for damage, but also for the perfect fit of the elements with each other. With minimal mismatch, it is permissible to slightly trim the edge with a file. The installation method of the tiled edge depends on the type of wall cladding and the size of the gap:
- If it is a glossy smooth tile, waterproof glue is sufficient for fastening.
- When relief tiles are laid on the walls or rough plaster is made, it is better to use a special adhesive for ceramic tiles for installation, intended for application in rooms with high humidity. This adhesive is sold dry, and for preparation you just need to add a little water.
- If there is a significant gap, it is better to pre-seal it and lay the tiles under a slope, especially if a shelf larger than 5 cm is formed.
- In any case, the installation should be started from the corner, covering two adjacent areas in parallel.
Each of the bath curbs has advantages and disadvantages. When choosing a product, it is necessary to take into account that the skirting board must be waterproof, practical and ideally combined with the surrounding surfaces. When buying, you also need to make sure that the product fits in width, completely closes the gap, and has at least a small margin. If you follow all the installation rules and select high-quality glue, then you will not have to face leaks.