Today, the most affordable in terms of construction costs is a do-it-yourself septic tank made of concrete rings, the scheme of which is simple. There is a significant number of materials from which these treatment facilities are made independently. but concrete rings, which are used for the construction of wells, make it easier to equip suburban housing autonomous sewerage... What are the pros and cons of such a common solution, what is the cost and construction technology, is it possible to make septic tanks for summer cottages without pumping out in this way - we will consider in this article.
- 1 What are the advantages and disadvantages of concrete septic tanks
- 2 What types of septic tanks can be built from concrete rings
- 3 How to arrange a septic tank from concrete rings with your own hands, diagram and stages of work
What are the advantages and disadvantages of concrete septic tanks
The material from which septic tanks are built for an autonomous wastewater treatment system does not particularly affect the principle of their operation. In any case, they purify domestic wastewater by sedimentation and filtration in soil layers. However, differences in the qualities of a particular material allow you to endow the device with certain advantages:
- simplicity of the device technology, for the implementation of which there is no need to possess specific knowledge and skills. You just need to know how to use a shovel and connect sewer pipes;
- relatively low construction cost. If you do earthwork yourself, without involving earth-moving equipment, then you will have to spend only on pipes and rings. By the way, they are much cheaper than ready-made septic tanks. Even self-production of a container by pouring concrete will cost an order of magnitude more;
- fast completion of construction. It does not take much time to build a septic tank from turnkey concrete rings. The cost of any construction process increases with time. Here you can get by in one day.
Of course, the cheapness of any project is due to the presence of certain disadvantages or inconveniences for the consumer. This is also true with concrete rings. Due to their high weight, there is an urgent need to use equipment to deliver these structures and lower them into the pit, the digging of which often also requires an excavator. You can save money, and significantly, if you dig with a shovel.
Helpful advice! In order not to spend money on a crane, concrete rings are lowered from the car along a wooden ladder. At the same time, they try to direct them closer to the pit.To descend into the pit, you can use the principle of self-immersion, which will be discussed later.
What types of septic tanks can be built from concrete rings
Concrete rings allow you to build yourself septic tank any capacity and degree of wastewater treatment. The simplest option is a storage sump. It is the only sealed container in which liquid simply accumulates and needs to be pumped out frequently. The volume of this container is regulated by the number of used rings.
Standard concrete rings come in diameters of 100, 150 and 200 cm.The height of the rings is different, but most often rings with a height of 0.9 m are used.Accordingly, to calculate the volume of one element, you need to multiply the height by the square of the radius of the inner circle and by the number P equal to approximately 3.14. Those who are too lazy to make calculations may remember that a meter ring gives a volume of about 0.7 m³, a one and a half meter about 1.5 m³, and a two-meter ring a little more than 3 m³.
The second option already assumes the presence of two cameras. In the first, the effluent settles and the denser substances settle to the bottom. The liquid flows into the second chamber according to the principle of communicating vessels. The bottom of the second chamber is not airtight, and drainage is arranged under it. For this reason, the liquid goes into the ground. The first chamber is usually made somewhat smaller in volume.
The third scheme of a septic tank made of concrete rings with your own hands involves the implementation of better wastewater treatment. It has three cameras. In the second, suspended particles also settle, and in the third, water goes into the ground. Such a scheme cleans drains more reliably, but at the same time is more cumbersome.
Helpful advice! Sometimes a do-it-yourself septic tank scheme from concrete rings may involve the device of filtration fields instead of a third tank. However, for this, the soil must be sufficiently loose.
How to arrange a septic tank from concrete rings with your own hands, diagram and stages of work
Consider the stages of work on the device of a septic tank with two chambers. The first will be a sump, and the second will be a natural soil filter. The total volume of the two chambers should be such as to ensure the reception of wastewater in an amount equal to the volume of liquid coming from the house in 3 days.
It has been estimated that each person spends 200 liters of water per day. This means that for a family of 4 people, the minimum volume of a septic tank will be about 2.5 m³. For this, only two one and a half meter rings are enough. However, it is necessary to take into account the depth of soil freezing. Therefore, you will need at least two more rings, which will be on top.
- we unload the rings from the car body at the place where we plan to dig a pit. We put two rings directly in place. We make the distance between them no more than 1 m;
- in the second ring, using a punch, we hollow out many holes over the entire surface. They are needed for drainage. Their size should not be less than 50x50 mm, since small ones tend to blur over time;
- we begin to dig the soil right inside the ring. As the soil is excavated, we dig under the walls of the ring. This will allow him to gradually sink into the ground. When the upper edge is level with the ground, coat it with a cement mortar and put a second ring on it. We continue to dig until the second ring is in the ground. After that, we fill the bottom with concrete, having previously tamped it. After the solution has solidified, we arrange a coating waterproofing with bitumen mastic, including at the joints between the rings;
- close the top ring with a lid with a hatch for unloading the substrate, which will gradually accumulate in the compartment.We put sewer pipes into a container below the level of soil freezing, or we make them thoroughly insulated with a heater;
- similarly, we dig in the rings of the second well. Only the bottom does not need to be concreted, but on the contrary, it is worth pouring a layer of rubble there for drainage. The pipe between the first and second compartments is made at the required depth so that it cannot freeze.
Helpful advice! If a lot of people live in the house and the water consumption exceeds the volumes indicated above, then you should not dig deep pits. It is not comfortable. It is much easier to add a third compartment by concreting the bottom in the second.
The nuances of the construction process of a concrete ring cleaner
The scheme of a septic tank made of concrete rings with your own hands involves the production of work on concreting the bottom. It is not only produced in the last well. For concreting, it is necessary to tamp the bottom tightly and pour a layer of crushed stone 5 cm thick there.Then we lay the reinforcement and fill it with a solution of another 5 cm.The total screed layer will turn out to be 10 cm.
A feature of trenches for sewer pipes is that for each subsequent pipe, the trench will have to be dug 20 cm deeper in order to ensure the height difference. Therefore, the depth of the wells themselves is the greater, the greater their serial number.
Septic Tank, negative reviews and their validity. For what reason there are negative reviews about Tank septic tanks, how justified they are and how to avoid disappointment during installation.
The holes punched in the rings for pipes are carefully sealed using any sealant. It is most important to do this at the exit holes. Well covers must be fitted with sewer hatches. This will make it possible to conveniently service them in case of contamination. In addition, holes with a diameter of 100 mm are punched in the covers and cuttings of pipes from the sewer, equipped with umbrellas on top, are inserted into it. They act as ventilation pipes.
After completing all the proposed actions, we will build a septic tank with our own hands for a summer residence without pumping out. After all, only solid waste components will accumulate, and liquid components will go into the ground without causing harm to the environment. The construction process is not difficult, and the result will fully satisfy the needs of any household.
If you do not have the time or basic construction skills, you can order the installation of a septic tank from turnkey concrete rings. In this case, the cost of the work performed will have to be added to the total construction estimate.
Diy septic tank diagram of concrete rings (video)