The toilet is an object without which it is impossible to imagine any modern apartment or house. Its role in human life is difficult to underestimate, however, very often not enough attention is paid to the selection of the most suitable model. Consider how to choose a toilet, how to choose toilet installation, as well as how to choose the right toilet without splashing, so that you do not regret it later.
- 1 The development of plumbing: toilets and the history of their improvement
- 2 How to choose a toilet: the main criteria for choosing a model for the home
- 2.1 Which toilet is better to buy: how to choose a model, depending on the material of manufacture
- 2.2 How to choose the right toilet: structural features of different models
- 2.3 Varieties of toilets, depending on how they are connected to the sewer
- 2.4 How to choose the right toilet: types of cisterns and other features
- 3 Which toilet is better to buy, floor-standing or hanging
- 4 The best toilets: photos and characteristics of the most popular models and companies
- 5 Standard sizes of toilets: how to choose the right model
- 6 Common breakdowns of toilets and how to fix them
Development plumbers: toilets and the history of their improvement
Today, a toilet is a technical device designed for sanitary needs, which is equipped with a flush system (automatic or semi-automatic, depending on the model). The current design has made all hygiene procedures as comfortable as possible, but this did not happen right away. The history of the development of toilets goes back several centuries.
The first toilet, which was equipped with a cistern, appeared at the end of the 16th century, and was installed in the apartments of Elizabeth 2. But then this invention did not yet receive the deserved recognition and popularity, since the sewer system and water supply system necessary for the proper operation of such a toilet the city simply did not exist.
The second attempt to introduce the use of toilets in everyday life took place in 1738, when the first valve-flush toilet was invented. After that, another important event for the industry took place - the invention of a water seal, which made it possible to solve the problem with unpleasant odors.
The first device designed to dispense water for flushing was invented in Britain, and it is according to this scheme that most toilet bowls function to this day. Over time, other useful additions have appeared, for example, an anti-splash in the toilet. What it is, we learned much later, however, this development took root pretty quickly. The toilet bowl became an integral part of any home only in the 20th century, so we can say that the path of development of this device was very long and difficult.
How to choose a toilet: the main criteria for choosing a model for the home
In order to figure out which toilet to choose, you need to understand which of its characteristics are of primary importance and determine the comfort of its use, as well as functionality. The assortment is growing every day, and the new models differ from the previous ones not only in design, but also in some technical characteristics.
For an ordinary buyer who has nothing to do with plumbing equipment, the choice can be difficult, but if you know the most important selection criteria in advance, then the chances of making the right choice increase significantly.
Which toilet is better to buy: how to choose model, depending on the material of manufacture
In total, there are 5 options for materials that can be used to make toilets. And each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages, so you should familiarize yourself with them before buying:
- Faience toilets are extremely popular and in demand because of their low cost. The technology of their manufacture provides for the firing of faience using a special technology with the application of a special protective coating, which reduces the porosity of the base material. Nevertheless, the pores still cannot be closed completely, so that such a toilet gets dirty much more actively than any others, and in order to return it to its original appearance, it will take a lot of effort. In addition, these toilets are fragile and often cracked and chipped.
- Porcelain toilets are much more durable and reliable products that can serve well for decades. Such toilets also look very attractive, but their cost is quite high. As for the porosity of the material, it is much lower than that of faience, which means that it is easier to care for porcelain.
- Steel toilets are a somewhat non-standard option, however, they have their own advantages. So, for example, it is easy to clean and the material from which it is made is extremely resistant to damage due to mechanical stress. By the way, it is steel products that are most often made of non-standard shapes. There are also a lot of such toilets.
- Toilet bowls made of natural or artificial stone. This is a very durable and original option. The main differences between these two options are weight, since an artificial stone product will weigh less, as well as cost - natural stone is more expensive. But both of these options are a great opportunity to decorate your bathroom in an original way.
- Plastic toilets are a special type of product that is made from acrylic and then coated with a special resin or fiberglass compound. This treatment gives the toilet the necessary strength. Among the positive characteristics of this solution, it is worth noting an extremely smooth surface that is easy to clean, as well as ease of installation, which is ensured by the low weight of the product.
Helpful advice! An inexperienced buyer will not be able to visually determine whether there is a faience or porcelain toilet in front of him, so in order to be sure of your own choice, you need to familiarize yourself with the documentation attached to the product.
How to choose the right toilet: design features of different models
No less important than the material of manufacture is the design of the toilet bowls, namely the type of bowl and cistern. The bowl can be round, oval, or even square. However, this is only the outer part, and when choosing, you need to pay attention to how the shape of the bowl affects the drain. So, the following options are distinguished:
- a funnel-shaped bowl is the most economical option when it comes to flushing. True, it is worth knowing in advance that in this case a considerable amount of splashes will form;
- a toilet bowl with a shelf (dish bowl) is a container, the lower part of which has a special platform filled with water. In that case, the formation of splashes is minimized, but it is quite difficult to care for such a structure, and the water consumption is considerable. Such bowls were extremely common in the Soviet Union, but nowadays they are extremely rare;
- visor bowl - a type, which is also based on a platform, but it is located at an inclination of 30 to 45 degrees. This placement method provides reliable splash protection. Moreover, some models are equipped with an additional "anti-splash" feature, which is represented by the presence of a narrow hole at the bottom.
Helpful advice! Many users point out the huge advantages of having an anti-splex system in the toilet. What it is will help you to understand just by looking at the diagram, which can be easily found on the Internet. And moreover, in the selection process, many consider exclusively anti-splash toilets, which also speaks of their advantages.
Varieties of toilets, depending on how they are connected to the sewer
The structure of the toilet bowl initially determines how it will be connected to the sewer system, and therefore it is also worth paying attention to this parameter. The drain, or as it is also called the release of the toilet, can be of three types: vertical, horizontal or oblique. You can find out which option should be preferred by inquiring in advance about what type of sewer is laid in the building. So, for example, in old houses you can most often find an oblique release of the toilet bowl, and in more modern buildings, direct drains.
Helpful advice! Even if an unsuitable device was purchased by mistake, it is possible to connect it to the existing sewage system. True, this will require additional costs for the purchase of an adapter and will create unnecessary hassle associated with installation.
How to choose the right toilet: types of cisterns and other features
An integral part of any toilet bowl is a cistern, which can also differ in shape, size, design, and most importantly, in the way it is connected to the water supply. There is one more important selection criterion - the inner filling of the tank. Depending on which shut-off valve was used for a particular model, both the speed with which the tank will be filled and the noise level during water filling depend.
The main requirement for filling the tank is the high quality of all elements. It is necessary that all elements can withstand the constant impact of hard water and be able to last long enough. If you also strive to save water, then you should consider buying a toilet with a two-button fittings, which allows you to drain the entire volume of water from the tank or only half.Despite the fact that such systems are somewhat more expensive, their purchase is very quickly justified as a result of water savings.
When deciding which toilet to choose, attention should be paid to the fact that the cistern can be located in several ways. In this case, there are two options: hanging cisterns, those that are attached directly to the bowl, and installation systems.
Hanging cisterns, which are attached to the wall separately from the toilet, are quite difficult to find in our time. The second type, when the tank is attached directly to the toilet, is the most common option, but installation systems are always hidden behind a false wall. The latter option is relevant for hanging toilet bowls.
There are also two types of flush - bowl flush and circular flush. In the first case, the flow of water turns out to be more powerful, which makes it possible to effectively eliminate the existing pollution on it. But still, circular flush is considered more modern and convenient, since such a system allows you to clean the entire surface of the bowl, and in the future, splashes and drops of water will not dry on the surface that is not washed.
Which toilet is better to buy, floor-standing or hanging
Floor-standing toilets are used much more often than wall-mounted ones, however, now the second type is also beginning to gain popularity. But still, it is difficult to give an unequivocal answer to the question of which option is preferable, and therefore it is worth considering the features and advantages of each decision in order to then make the right decision.
Everyone has seen floor-standing toilets, because it was this option that was widely used in all homes. Today, the range of such toilets is extremely large, so it is not difficult to choose an option that would match the interior. But the recently appeared suspended models, although they do not have such a rich lineup, still surprise with their unusual appearance.
Important! Many apartment owners are worried about the reliability of hanging toilet bowls, however, experts say that such structures are in no way inferior in reliability to floor structures, as they are fixed with special fasteners that can withstand a load of up to 400 kg.
Another important point that you need to know before making a purchase is that manufacturers often use space saving in the bathroom as an argument in favor of purchasing a wall-hung toilet. In fact, you will have to install and fix all the same elements as in the floor model, only they will be hidden from view. But this will practically not affect the consumption of space, but the procedure for further repair and maintenance may become somewhat complicated.
Which toilet is better to choose? Advantages and disadvantages of hanging and floor models
Having received a general idea of the features of each type of toilet, it is worth considering the advantages and disadvantages of each type in order to compare them, and based on this, understand how to choose the right toilet for an apartment or house.
So, the advantages of floor-standing toilets include:
- the largest assortment of various models of toilet bowls, as well as the opportunity to purchase all the necessary components;
- the procedure for installing such toilets is as simple as possible, and you can easily cope with this task without the presence of special tools and special knowledge;
- maintenance and repair of floor-standing toilets is much easier and more convenient than other, more complex structures;
- the cost of floor-standing toilets largely depends on the material used for its manufacture, however, among such models it is quite possible to find inexpensive products, especially if you consider the proposals of a domestic manufacturer;
- it is these models that are best suited if you want to decorate a bathroom in a retro style. The toilet in this style has a special shape that was once popular.
Sizes of installations and toilets. Overview of installation manufacturers. Councils for the choice of installations and toilet bowls. Editing algorithm.
As for the difficulties arising in the process of using floor-standing toilets, it is worth noting the following features:
- it is more difficult to thoroughly clean the bathroom, where the floor-standing toilet is installed, since it can be difficult to clean the floor surface behind the toilet;
- in terms of durability, the drains used for floor-standing toilets are inferior to those used for systems installations;
- in comparison with wall-mounted toilets, floor-standing ones demonstrate higher water consumption and low flush efficiency;
- in toilets with a classic design, the procedure for filling the cistern with water is accompanied by a characteristic sound that is often heard not only in the bathroom.
Still, floor-standing toilets have been actively used for many years, although now they have to compete with wall-mounted models, which also have their advantages:
- despite the fact that there is practically no real saving of space, visually the area of the bathroom is still increasing;
- due to the fact that all pipes, valves and the drain tank itself are hidden from view, such a system looks much more attractive;
- cleaning a bathroom with a wall-hung toilet is much easier and faster.
The negative aspects of such a solution can be attributed only to some difficulties associated with the specifics of the installation, as well as the higher cost of such models. Although some users also note some difficulties associated with the maintenance of such models, because in the event of a breakdown, it is quite difficult to get to the water supply or flush system.
Helpful advice! The toilet seat is a very important element, so you need to approach it responsibly. It will be useful to read the discussion on the forums on how to choose a toilet seat, as well as read reviews on the various models.
The best toilets: photos and characteristics of the most popular models and companies
In order to determine which model you will like more than others, we recommend that you consider the rating of toilet bowls, and get acquainted with several of the most popular manufacturers who have more than once been able to prove the high quality of their products.
Top five companies for choosing a toilet
Gustavsberg is a Swedish manufacturer that considers high quality and reliability of its products to be the basis of its products. This manufacturer provides a 25-year warranty for its toilet bowls. At the same time, customers are pleasantly pleased with the universal design of their products, which allows them to harmoniously combine their products with any interior.
The company makes its toilets from high-quality porcelain, which is glazed and then processed at a very high temperature, which gives the product incredible strength and stability.
Roca is a Spanish company known all over the world, which is famous for its sanitary ware and offers its customers high quality sanitary ware, including toilets and bidets.Most of their models come in a traditional design, so this toilet can be easily installed in any bathroom.
Vitra is a Turkish company that is actively introducing new technologies and solutions into production, thus replenishing the market with new and original toilet bowls. The company pays great attention to the design of models, which is obvious if you pay attention to the fact that in addition to traditional solutions in the company's assortment, you can also find very original toilet bowls. It is interesting that the products of this company are used not only for home interiors, but also as plumbing for public institutions.
Santek is a company that perfectly demonstrates that among the domestic product there is one that is worthy of attention and is not inferior in quality to foreign models. Despite the fact that toilets are made in Russia, all products strictly comply with European norms and standards. In addition, their models are versatile and can be installed anywhere without any problems. It is also worth noting that Santek uses all the most modern technologies for its toilets: circular drain, high-quality and reliable fasteners, a variety of drainage systems etc.
Cersanit is a Polish company with a worldwide reputation, whose rich assortment is able to satisfy the demand of any, even the most demanding user. Paying great attention to the quality of the sanitary ware produced, the manufacturer was able to achieve an almost perfect result. Thanks to the special manufacturing technology, the material from which the toilet bowls are made is extremely resistant to various factors and loads, and as evidenced by numerous reviews, Cersanit toilet bowls are one of the most durable.
Overview of the three most popular toilets: cost, characteristics, features
- Gustavsberg Artik GB 114310301231 is a traditional floor standing toilet model with horizontal water outlet. This toilet has the possibility of double flushing, and depending on the need, you can drain the entire contents of the tank or only half. The advantages of this solution include ease of installation and versatile design. As for the shortcomings, here it is worth noting only the rather large weight of the structure. Buying such a toilet will cost about 16,300 rubles.
- Santek Rimini 1WH110128 is an inexpensive floor-standing toilet with an oblique water outlet. This model can be purchased as a complete set, and thanks to the presence of a double drain system, you can economically use water. Among the advantages of this solution are the compactness of the model, ease of installation, ease of maintenance and affordable cost. Among the shortcomings, the specific shape of the tank is noted, which tapers slightly towards the top, which can create certain difficulties if it is necessary to replace or repair the internal mechanism. This model costs about 3850 rubles.
- Cersanit NewCleanOn 548 is a rectangular earthenware toilet that is sold without a cistern, but with a seat with a microlift. It is ideal for modern interiors. The product is extremely durable and is guaranteed for 10 years. Despite the fact that the toilet bowl is quite difficult to adjust, this allows you to adjust it as accurately as possible during the installation process so that further use is comfortable. The current price of a suspended toilet bowl of this model is 4800 rubles.
Helpful advice! Before purchasing a similar model, be sure to look at the photos of hanging toilet bowls on the Internet to make sure that you like the way it looks. It is also helpful to read reviews. Cersanit toilets are in great demand, and therefore it will not be difficult to find useful recommendations on the selection, installation and use.
Standard sizes of toilet bowls: how to find the right model
In order to determine the appropriate size toilet with cistern or without it, the first thing to do is to take measurements in the room where it will be installed. This will help you determine the permissible length and width of the toilet so that it is conveniently positioned after installation.
The dimensions of the toilet bowl can be any, however, the distance to the side wall should be at least 25-30 cm, as well as to other plumbing fixtures. The exception is the distance between the toilet and bidet, which should be somewhat larger for ease of use.
Today it is possible to find a suitable model even for a very modest-sized bathroom. Of course, too small toilets are unlikely to be very convenient, but if the space is really very limited, this can be a good solution.
By the way, the size of the toilet bowls is strictly regulated by GOST. So, for example, the dimensions of the compact toilet are as follows:
- length - from 610 mm to 645 mm;
- width (for the bowl) - more than 345 mm;
- height - from 370 mm to 395 mm.
Separately, it should be said about the size of the pendant models, since for them the indicators are somewhat different:
- length in the range of 480-700 mm;
- width - from 355 mm to 700 mm;
- height no more than 395 mm.
Helpful advice! The plumbers forum can be an excellent assistant in choosing. Which toilet is better to buy, they know better than anyone else, and therefore, by visiting such specialized portals, you will surely gain a lot of useful information.
Common breakdowns of toilets and how to fix them
Due to the fact that the toilet is a device that is used every day, breakdowns can occur in it even if you installed a new one quite recently. And in order to avoid replacement, as well as the costs associated with unnecessarily calling the wizard, it is useful to familiarize yourself with some of the most common causes of malfunctions and how to fix them.
The first and most common problem is the occurrence of an extraneous sound, most often humming or whistling. The reason for this phenomenon is the tank fittings, as a result of which a strange sound appears in the process of draining or drawing water. The most common source of sound is the faulty operation of the filler valve, which is also called a ball valve with a "float".
Helpful advice! Often, the reason for an excessively loud set of water in the tank is the absence of a small hose, which is necessary for water to be drawn from the bottom of the tank. In this case, it will be enough just to purchase the missing part and install it in place.
The hum can also be caused by the operation of a special rubber gasket of the filler valve, which can make noise after the float rises and the water closes. In most cases, replacing the gasket is sufficient, although in some situations it may be necessary to replace the entire internal mechanism.
In the event of uncharacteristic sounds, it is imperative to inquire about the current state of the fittings, because the quality of the water supplied to houses through the centralized system is extremely low.Salts and deposits in the water often cause system malfunctions.
Many people are interested in the question of how to choose the right toilet, so that it flushes well, so that it is comfortable and looks attractive. Perhaps the only general recommendation that can no doubt be given to anyone who is faced with this question is to consider as many models as possible with different characteristics. In addition, you can read reviews of which toilet is better to choose and, of course, see the pictures. Toilets are very different, so with due attention to this issue, you will surely find the right model for you.