In recent years, there has been a trend towards equipping bathrooms with showers. This is due to the accelerating rhythm of life, when there is not enough time for taking a bath. In addition, it takes up half of the bathroom, which is inconvenient. When taking a shower, much less hot water is used, which is practical, especially when installing metering devices. The modern industry produces many different types of finished shower enclosures. However, many people prefer to build a shower on their own from separate parts. It is cheaper. The main part is the pallet. The shapes and sizes of shower trays are different.
Shapes and sizes of shower trays
The variety of trays produced by the industry allows you to choose the most optimal solution for installing a shower in the bathroom.
Today in stores you can find shower trays made of various materials. They all have their own characteristics:
- cast iron products are the most reliable. This alloy has unique properties. It is not susceptible to corrosion, especially when coated with high-quality enamel. Since cast iron is very thick, the sound of water pouring on it is practically inaudible. But the most important thing is that such a pallet keeps heat well. These products have one significant drawback that turns off buyers. This is a lot of weight. The pallet can weigh up to 100 kg;
- steel pallets are made of thin steel. For this reason, they do not keep warm well, are very noisy and not durable. The enameled version is somewhat more practical, but corrosion may appear on it in places where the enamel is chipped;
- ceramic trays are very beautiful, but too fragile. Even fallen shower head can break such a product to smithereens;
- modern acrylic pallets have all the positive qualities: they are not subject to corrosion, keep warm well, are quiet, durable, easy to install. Most importantly, they can be made in any configuration;
- there are also stone and glass pallets, but due to the high cost, the demand for them is observed only among fairly wealthy people. Moreover, they are not practical, although they are beautiful.
It is not surprising that today the most demanded is the latter type of shower trays. The shapes and sizes of these products can be very diverse.
Useful advice! PWhen installing a steel pallet, sound insulation must be provided, which is done under it. In order to prevent the product from sagging under the weight of a person, a sand pillow is made under the bottom, and the pallet itself is placed on the brickwork.
Shapes and sizes
Since acrylic is very plastic, any product can be made from it. In practice, in form, they are:
- corner with rounding.
For a small room, rounded corner trays are the most convenient, as they optimally use space and do not have protruding corners. They are installed in one corner of the bathroom. The rest of the types can be mounted anywhere, even in the middle of the room.
Acrylic bath liner. Customer reviews. Opinion of the owners of such inserts. Self-restoration of baths with liquid acrylic. Removing the installed acrylic liner.
Pallets are equilateral and non-sided. The dimensions of the former can be from 800x800 to 1200x1200 mm with a step of 100 mm. The latter have sides with different sizes. The difference is always a multiple of 10 mm. When choosing the size, you need to be guided not only by the size of the room, but by the dimensions of family members. For a man of average height, the optimal size will be 900x900 mm. If the size does not match the dimensions, it will be inconvenient to wash.
By depth, one can distinguish:
- shallow, which have a depth of no more than 4 cm. It is convenient to enter and exit them;
- medium up to 10 cm. Combine the convenience of shallow and deep to a certain extent;
- deep up to 18 centimeters or more. You can sit in them, bathe children, soak linen.
Useful advice! The depth of the pallet should be chosen based on the needs of the family. If there are small children, then it is optimal to choose a deep tray. For older people, a small one is best, since it is more convenient and safer to enter it.
The shape and size of shower trays, as well as the depth of the product, is a determining factor when choosing the installation method.
Step-by-step instructions for installing shower trays
The easiest way is to mount cast iron pallets. They do not need any additional facilities. It is enough to arrange a drain, connect siphon and replace the pallet. Due to its high weight and existing legs, it will stand stable without additional devices.
The installation of steel pallets made of thin metal implies the installation of a special podium for strong fastening of the product. It can be built from bricks or sheet materials with waterproofing. A drain is mounted inside.
Since the most common are acrylic pallets, you need to tell more about their installation. It all depends on the depth of the product.
Installing a deep acrylic tray
If the decision is made to purchase a deep pallet, there will be no big problems with its installation. It always comes with a frame made of metal shaped tubes of square or rectangular cross-section. Also included are 4 or 5 threaded studs. Plastic supports are screwed onto them from below, which can be adjusted in height by screwing in.
The installation sequence is as follows:
- The pallet is turned over, and the frame is screwed onto it from below with screws.
- Legs - pins are screwed into the frame and pallet.
- A siphon is mounted in the drain hole.
- The whole structure is turned over and installed in place.
- The siphon is connected with a corrugated hose to a floor drain.
- With the help of a liquid building level, the product is installed horizontally. This is necessary for normal water flow. The adjustment is made by screwing in the plastic feet. After the end of the adjustment, the position must be fixed with lock nuts.
- If the pallet is angular, then it still has special fasteners on the side for fixing it to the walls. This must be done, since a sealant is applied between the walls and pallets, which, if not firmly attached, can be damaged.
Installation of small and medium pallets
It will take a little more time and effort. In this case, the sequence is as follows:
- A niche is made in the floor for a siphon and a drain. Another option is to arrange a low pedestal in which the drain is mounted.
- Take the pallet and put it in the right place.
- 3 - 4 cylinders of polyurethane foam are produced for the product.
- The whole structure is pressed with a heavy object for a day with level control.
- Do not forget to fill the joints with the walls with sealant.
Useful advice! You can use bags of cement or sand as a weight for crushing. A piece of plywood or other similar material is placed on the pallet. This will prevent skewing.
Whatever the shape and size of the shower tray, its correct installation guarantees a long and safe use of the shower. The use of this invention of mankind saves a lot of time and money.