The entrance hall is one of the most important rooms, because it is she who creates the first impression and gives guests a sense of well-being in the house. But if appearance is mainly important for guests hallway, its functionality is much more important to the owners. Every day, going out and returning, they cannot avoid this small but important part of their home. How to equip your hallway so as to ideally combine beauty and functionality, aesthetics and comfort? The article "Design of a hallway in a private house: photo ideas for creating an original interior" - will be your assistant at all stages of the arrangement.
- 1 Hallway design in a private house: photo for inspiration
- 2 Choosing the color palette of the hallway interior
- 3 Hallway furniture
- 4 Seating and other items
- 5 Hallway lighting
Hallway design in a private house: photo for inspiration
Repair in the hallway, as a rule, is done last, when all other rooms already have a finished image, and you can evaluate the result obtained. When planning renovations for the corridor, it is important to build on the existing interior of the rest of the house and keep everything in the same style. Or you can go from the opposite and do hallwaya special part of the house - unlike any other part of it. It all depends on the preferences and capabilities of the owners.
When starting to develop a corridor design in a private house, first of all, it is necessary to determine what functions this part of the house should carry. First, answer a few questions:
- Do you plan to store things in the hallway that you are not currently wearing, or is there a separate pantry for this? Photos of repairs in the hallway will help to create an unusual, original design in a small area. It is more difficult to work with a narrow corridor, but it is also quite possible;
- how much seating do you need? It depends on the number of household members who live with you;
- do the sizes allow hallway fit into it the functional load that you plan? If the corridor is narrow, the repair in the hallway must correspond to the realities.
By answering these questions, you will get a rough picture of how your hallway should look like. After that, you can safely proceed to the selection of finishing materials and furniture.
Photo of entrance doors to a private house from various materials. Types of entrance doors to a private house: features, advantages and disadvantages. Security classes of entrance doors.How to choose a reliable door.
The choice of finishing material for walls
It is important to understand that the walls in the corridor are significantly exposed to moisture, dirt and mechanical damage. After all, no matter how hard you try, in rainy weather, drops of water will fall on the wall from shoes or umbrellas, and metal parts of shoes and outerwear can scratch the walls. Therefore, when choosing a finishing material for walls, consider the need to quickly and easily clean the walls from dirt and water.
Particular attention should be paid to this issue if pets live with you. It is they who often bring most of the dirt into the hallway, staining not only the floor, but also the walls.
Experts do not recommend stopping the choice on textile or paper wallpapers, even if they are of high quality and beautiful. It is better to give preference to washable options that are not affected by moisture. At the same time, pay attention that caring for them does not require the use of specialized products - this will create additional hassle during cleaning.
The most popular wall decoration options in the corridor and hallway (photos of real interiors confirm this):
- vinyl wallpapers - a great option for decorating a hallway. The main advantage of this type of wallpaper from paper is that it can be safely washed without fear of damage. Vinyl wallpapers have a limitless palette of colors and can be easily applied by yourself. Affordable price only emphasizes all the advantages of this type of wall covering;
- the liquid wallpaper - a relatively new, but very modern type of wall decoration. Due to its properties, such wallpaper is very convenient to decorate various designs - arches, niches, and so on. After application, liquid wallpaper is varnished, and in the future, any dirt can be easily removed with water and a rag. For clarity, you can find thematic photos on the Internet. Wallpaper for the corridor, which is easy to clean and restore, is a great find for any housewife;
Helpful advice! Liquid wallpaper is a great option for decorating a hallway. If the wall gets dirty, you can easily apply a new layer of such wallpaper to the damaged area.
- paint is a good and inexpensive option for finishing the hallway, but only if the walls in the corridor are perfectly flat. If the walls are initially flawed, you may have to spend a significant amount of time and effort on leveling the walls and preparing them for painting;
- decorative plaster is a simple and reliable type of wall decoration. Such plaster is easy to apply and subsequently unpretentious to maintain;
- MDF panels and PVC is a quick and inexpensive way to decorate the walls in the hallway yourself. Panels are divided into three types: sheet, type-setting rack and square tile. Any kind of these panels are suitable for hallway decoration. The only thing worth paying attention to is the degree of moisture resistance of the panel that you have chosen.
It is not uncommon now to combine materials for wall decoration. To decorate the lower half of the wall, use MDF panels and PVC. The upper half is plastered, painted or pasted over with wallpaper. Photos of the combined design for the corridor perfectly demonstrate the benefits of this combination.
You can also use decorative stone to decorate the corridor (photos demonstrating this type of design are very popular on the Internet).
Floors in hallway every day they experience a huge load, because it is in the corridor that bags, shoes, bicycles, scooters, rollers are left. When choosing a floor covering, it is important to understand how much the floor in the hallway is susceptible to mechanical damage. As a floor covering, you need to choose a material that is durable and not subject to damage, which can be easy to care for.
Popular flooring options
The most popular and practical flooring for the hallway today:
- linoleum is undoubtedly the leader of our country among floor coverings. Due to its affordable price, as well as ease of maintenance, linoleum is considered the best option for decorating the floor in the corridor. And the photo of the design of the corridors in the houses confirms this. However, when choosing linoleum for your hallway, it is important to pay attention to its density and thickness. Too thin (the so-called household linoleum) will not work because of its susceptibility to mechanical damage;
- laminate is a perfectly acceptable option for finishing the floor in the hallway, but it requires special attention when choosing. It is necessary to pay attention to the wear resistance and moisture resistance of the selected option. These indicators should be maximum. Be sure to use a moisture resistant grout at the joints to avoid moisture getting between the laminate elements. High-quality laminate is a very beautiful option for creating a hallway design in the house. Photos reflect this well;
- tiles are a reliable and durable way to finish floors. Most often, porcelain stoneware is preferred, since this option is stronger than ordinary tiles and, moreover, does not slip. If we talk about stone tiles, then this is a very expensive material. But at the same time it is very durable and looks great in the interior.
As with walls, you can use a combination finish on the floor. In the most loaded part of the hallway, tiles are laid, and then laminate or linoleum as desired.
Helpful advice! Do not skimp on finishing materials for the hallway, otherwise you risk facing the fact that the walls and floor will very quickly lose their original appearance, reducing your efforts to create the interior to zero.
The choice of materials for finishing the ceiling in the hallway
Types of ceilings in the hallway:
- The stretch ceiling has a flat, smooth surface that looks great and is easy to clean. The only difficulty that you will have to face when choosing a stretch ceiling is the complex installation process. This will require professionals and special equipment. Without this, the installation of a stretch ceiling is impossible. But if you are ready to spend time and effort on this, then such a ceiling will be an excellent interior solution for your hallway;
- suspended ceiling - a structure decorated with plastic panels or plasterboard. A suspended ceiling is a great platform for creating a multi-level structure with recessed lighting. But it is worth noting that such structures take up space, and each level will "eat up" at least 10 cm of the ceiling height. This can become an obstacle to its use in creating a long corridor design.It is important to remember that, unlike plastic panels, drywall needs further processing, and you have to paste over, plaster or paint it;
- ceiling decoration is a number of possible design methods using the following materials: paint, wallpaper, decorative plaster, whitewash, ceiling tiles.
If you plan to use paint or whitewash for finishing the ceiling, make sure that the surface of the ceiling is prepared and even. It is possible to make repairs hallway with your own hands... The photos of the interior design presented in the article are a vivid confirmation of this.
Choosing the color palette of the hallway interior
When choosing a color palette for finishing the corridor and hallway (a photo selection of striking interior examples will help in choosing) there are no prerequisites. It only matters if you like the color you choose. After all, it is you who will have to enter and leave your house every day through the hallway.
Some people prefer calm shades that they associate with peace and comfort. And someone, on the contrary, wants to see bright, cheerful colors in their hallway. Whichever option you choose, try to make the interior of the corridor at least a little overlapping with the renovation in the other rooms. This will foster a sense of wholeness emanating from the home. On the Internet you can see a photo of the design of the corridors in a private house.
Helpful advice! If the goal is to visually increase the space, use glossy materials for decoration. In a fairly spacious hallway, on the contrary, it is better to use matte surfaces.
Also pay attention to the fact that the walls should be at least a few tones lighter than the floors, but darker than the ceiling. This will help to visually expand the room and create a sense of space. Here are some great examples of corridor finishing (photos show how advantageous this combination of shades looks).
The black and white interior looks incredibly organic in the hallway. If you choose the right materials, then caring for the white decor elements will not be difficult.
If you are an adherent of bright and cheerful colors, then the hallway is the place where you can fulfill your wildest desires. Bright decor elements will give a festive mood for the whole day.
Storage systems are the first thing we think about when we start furnishing the hallway. How and where will our clothes, shoes and accessories be stored?
Storage systems made of unpainted wood are a common option for hallways in a private or country house. Such a set is very spacious and can be used not only for clothes and shoes of the current season, but also to store all the outerwear of a medium-sized family in itself. Storage systems can even be used in the design of a small hallway in a private house. You can see photos of the most popular wood storage systems on the pages of Internet catalogs.
The corner system is a great opportunity to use all possible space for storing things. This option is great for hallways with a small area. In the lower part of the structure, you can make shelves for shoes (or use boxes), above them you can equip a seat. This will help you use the space as efficiently as possible.
If there is little space in the hallway, give preference to the white headset. No matter how impressive its size is, thanks to the white color, the furniture will not look so heavy. These techniques are also used for narrow corridors (photo of hallwaysthat are designed with these tips in mind are excellent examples of their effectiveness).
Storage systems made in dark colors are permissible only in houses where the entrance hall occupies an impressive area. In this case, the color and size of the headset can be any. If you decide to give preference to dark furniture, it is better to make the walls light. At the same time, the floor should be in harmony with the furniture.
Seating and other items
An entrance hall is a room where you have to put on and take off your shoes every day. And, of course, it is much more comfortable to do this while sitting in a specially designated place. For this purpose, a special pouf or a small bench... A seating position built into the headset is also possible. The main thing is that it is located at a comfortable height.
A chest of drawers or a curbstone are frequent elements of furnishing an entrance hall in a private house, which are convenient to use for storing things. Accessories or small decorative elements can be placed on the surface of the cabinet or chest of drawers. These pieces of furniture will significantly diversify the design of the corridor in a private house (you can look at photo examples on various sites).
The hanger is a universal solution for a modest hallway. If you do not have room for large furniture, a hanger will completely replace it in terms of placement of outerwear. Of course, the hanger does not allow you to store clothes that you do not wear, but, nevertheless, for a small hallway it is a great option.
Even in a private house, the hallway is rarely large. Therefore, the decorative elements used for its design must carry a functional load. On the Internet, you can find many interesting options on the design of the hallway in the house, photo ideas will become a source of inspiration for the choice of decor elements.
A mirror is that element of decor that no hallway can do without. After all, the last preparations before going outside take place in the hallway. To make sure that today you are simply irresistible, a mirror will help you. But, in addition, a correctly selected mirror significantly decorates the interior of the hallway. In the case when it is necessary to visually expand the space, the mirror will also become the best assistant in creating a hallway design in a private house. Photos of original solutions can be seen on the Internet.
Helpful advice! Placing a painting or other decorative element in front of a mirror will create a sense of spaciousness and perspective. You can visually increase the space in the corridor not only with the help of mirrors, but also using wallpaper.
A stand or umbrella basket can also be an excellent entryway decor element. Such a small element, in the right color, will decorate and diversify the interior of the hallway in a private house. Photos are an example of this.In addition, thanks to this decorative element, the umbrella will always be at hand on a rainy day.
Elements of textiles and carpet. If there is a window in the hallway, then draping it with tulle (curtains) also requires attention. When purchasing curtains, curtains or blinds, it is better to give preference to products made from materials that are easy to care for. In this case, bamboo or metal blinds are the best option. The same principle is used for the selection of carpets.
Helpful advice! Think over the little things - everything should be convenient. You will have to go to the mirror, take an umbrella and other simple actions often. Plan ahead so that it is comfortable and not uncomfortable for you.
If the hallway in the house is spacious enough, flower pots will decorate it perfectly. Flowers in bright, original pots will give a feeling of cleanliness and freshness.
Lighting in the hallway depends primarily on what finish is chosen for the ceiling. If the ceiling is hinged, then the built-in lighting system will be an excellent solution to the issue. Definitely, the hallway should be brightly lit. If the corridor is modest in size, it is better to avoid bulky ceiling lights - they steal space a lot. In this case, it is better to use multi-level lighting and wall lights.
Large vintage chandeliers in the hallway are acceptable only if there is a large corridor area and sufficiently high ceilings.
Lighting is an important point in the renovation process in the hallway. Photo ideas from the Internet can serve as inspiration for you.
Helpful advice! If you have to make repairs in a narrow corridor, direct the lighting to one side. This will help visually expand the space.
By doing renovationt in the hallway, all the functional features of this part of the house should be taken into account. The functionality of the corridor is the main reference in the design, but do not forget about the flight of imagination.
We hope that the article "Design of a hallway in a private house" and photo illustrations will become your assistant in creating your own unique interior. After all, only focusing on your own preferences, while taking into account the advice of experts, you can create a truly stylish interior that will delight you with its appearance and functionality every day.