Stretch canvases are gaining more and more popularity. The fabric stretch ceiling is characterized by ease of installation, long service life and absolute environmental safety. The canvases form perfectly flat surfaces. Without preparation and additional work, it will be possible to hide irregularities and hide engineering communications. A large selection of shades will help to realize any, even the most daring design ideas on the ceiling.
- 1 What is stretch ceilings: the pros and cons of using fabric
- 2 Types of fabric stretch ceilings: photos of various options in the interior
- 3 Fabric stretch ceiling: popular manufacturers
- 4 How to choose the right material: expert advice
What is stretch ceilings: the pros and cons of using fabric
Stretch ceilings are well known to all. They are made of different materials that differ in design, structure, color, shape and other properties. The fabric stretch ceiling is one of the types of canvases that are in great demand.
The main feature of the fabric ceiling is that the basis of the material is not polyvinyl chloride film, but polyester polyurethane. For this reason, it is many times stronger than its PVC counterparts. Like any other fabric, the fabric is made on a loom, after which the polyester is impregnated with polyurethane to increase flexibility, the ability to retain its appearance at higher temperatures and improve other performance characteristics.
The resulting fabric is rolled into rolls and sent for further styling. The width of the fabric can be up to 5 m, which makes it possible to exclude welded seams even in fairly spacious rooms. The installation is carried out using a safe technology without the use of heat guns, which can also be considered an advantage over PVC films. When installing a fabric stretch ceiling, the covering is fixed with reliable mechanisms at the highest point of the room. This structure looks as if it is covered with plaster and painted in one color with high quality.
The high price of fabric stretch ceilings with installation is primarily due to the fact that only expensive special equipment is used in production.During the manufacturing process, surfaces are treated with agents whose main purpose is to protect the canvas from the accumulation of dirt and dust, as well as from the aggressive effects of sunlight and extreme temperatures.
The pros and cons of polyester depend on the quality of the additional impregnations, which make the ceilings very durable and durable. In addition to the fact that the canvases retain an attractive appearance for many years, they can emit a specific aroma when heated.
Helpful information! The range of fabric stretch ceilings is incredibly rich. Each buyer can choose the best option for himself, suitable in color and style for a particular room. In various retail outlets you can find not only laconic one-color canvases, but also quite original options with clear prints, as well as spectacular and realistic images of various formats.
To weigh all the pros and cons of stretch ceilings, it is recommended to first familiarize yourself with the main technical characteristics of the canvases:
- roll width - 3.1-5.1 m;
- thickness - is an indicator that may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, mainly varies from 0.15 to 0.2 mm;
- texture - matte;
- the optimal temperature range at which it is permissible to operate the canvas is from -50 to 100 ° C;
- sound absorption coefficient - 0.6;
- the level of light absorption - 90%;
- weight - varies depending on the quality of the web, but generally does not exceed 240 g / m².
The main pros and cons of fabric stretch ceilings
According to reviews, fabric ceilings are practical, reliable and durable material. First of all, stretch structures have become popular due to their versatility and the ability to transform even the most damaged ceiling into a beautiful, even base. Many people prefer this coating because they want to solve the problem of finishing the ceiling once and for all.
In addition, a wide range of colors allows each customer to choose the best option for their interior. Also, fabric ceilings are considered the only coating that is distinguished by air permeability. Therefore, if the question is what is better - stretch fabric ceilings or PVC, you need to remember that only fabric is able to "breathe". Thanks to this, the coating will not impede the movement of air between the main ceiling, the tension structure and the room. The room will not have a greenhouse effect, which is observed in the case of a film ceiling.
According to reviews, fabric stretch ceilings are characterized by a number of positive aspects of use, among which stand out:
- High strength and durability compared to other types of tensile structures.
- Multifunctionality. You can install the canvas in any room, regardless of its size, ceiling height and other parameters.
- Ease of installation. The installation process does not take long. Compared to PVC foil, no special heating device is required for installation.
- Finishing. At the request of the owner of the room, the ceiling can be additionally covered with water or acrylic paints.
- Appearance. The fabric for stretch ceilings looks great and attracts attention, even if you use a plain canvas without installing decorative elements.
- A wide range of textures and colors. Regardless of the interior of the room, you will definitely be able to choose the optimal coating design.
- Safety. Due to the fact that the fabric is woven from fibers that have undergone complex processing, the fabrics are considered harmless to humans.
- Fire resistance.Multi-stage processing of natural fibers makes stretch ceilings non-combustible, which is characteristic only for this type of canvas. In addition, the ceilings are designed for high temperature applications.
- Good performance. The surfaces are highly resistant to damage, mechanical stress and the ability to maintain their appearance even after prolonged use; the material does not crack or bend.
Important! One of the main advantages noted by experienced users is the possibility of self-repair. Due to the fact that installation does not require heating the canvas, for example, if it is necessary to replace the wiring, you can easily dismantle it, and then return it without loss of quality do it yourself fabric stretch ceiling into place.
Disadvantages of stretch fabric ceilings: consumer reviews
The main pros and cons of fabric ceilings will primarily depend on the quality of the installation and the conscientiousness of the manufacturer. Despite the chosen canvas, one significant drawback is noted - a decrease in the height of the room. Regardless of the type of ceiling, at least 7-10 cm will be "cut off" from the room, and if multi-level structures are used, then the figure can reach 15 cm. Therefore, before buying, you need to determine the feasibility of installation and not choose this design option for ceilings below 2, 75 m.
Among the main disadvantages of stretch ceilings are:
- Lack of variety in color palette. This disadvantage is eliminated by staining. The only thing - you need to take into account that the painting process is complex and is carried out by people with experience.
- The ability to pass water in the event of flooding. In this case, the canvases are significantly inferior to the options for PVC ceilings. Although many manufacturers offer fabric materials that can retain water.
- Lack of antistatic effect. A significant drawback that does not allow assembling structures in dusty rooms.
- The need for regular cleaning with a special vacuum cleaner. The device for cleaning the fabric ceiling must necessarily differ in the ability to adjust the power and have a special soft brush in the kit that does not violate the integrity of the fabric.
- Insufficient stretch ability. This suggests that fabric cannot be used to create complex structures and cladding large ceilings. The maximum width is 5 m, if the room is wider, you will have to create a seam on the fabric, which will significantly spoil the appearance.
- The ability to absorb odors. For this reason, it is not recommended to install ceilings in the kitchen and in other rooms in which there is a possibility of unpleasant odors.
There is an opinion that the composition of stretch ceilings contains elements that can have a negative impact on human health. For this reason, they should not be installed in rooms where children will live or be. And this statement is not entirely invented. If you go for the low price of a fabric ceiling, you can buy a fake, in which the presence of any toxic elements is really possible. If you buy a quality product from a trusted seller with certificates confirming the harmlessness of the material, then you can not worry about safety and install ceilings in children's rooms.
Types of fabric stretch ceilings: photos of various options in the interior
When choosing a ceiling made of fabric, it must be borne in mind that there are several types of materials that differ in characteristics and specific features.So, chintz ceilings are quite common because they have a high light transmittance. This allows the canvas to be mounted not only as an attractive decorative surface, but also as a kind of light diffuser in the room.
This surface design option will help you to abandon the installation of a classic central lamp. You can solve the issue of high-quality lighting in the room with the help of several small ceiling lamps. Other advantages of chintz fabric include the following points:
- the ability to create a spectacular lighting design with installed hidden light sources;
- long service life;
- attractive and soothing shades, most often buyers prefer pastel colors;
- perfectly smooth surface with an attractive structure;
- lack of glare and reflective effect, which often cause irritation and interfere with the normal rest in the room, especially at night;
- unusual and memorable design.
When installing, it should be borne in mind that after installing the calico coverings, the total height of the room will still decrease by 10-12 cm, even despite the light and translucent appearance. You should also be careful when using a calico ceiling, because the surface is easy to damage with sharp objects. You should not rely on the protection of the apartment from flooding, as noted above.
Useful advice! Chintz fabric on the ceiling is best suited for a bedroom or living room because it creates a cozy feeling, has a pleasant and soothing color. Quite often, chintz canvases are installed in hallways, where their rough texture looks especially appropriate.
What is a satin stretch ceiling
The basis of the satin fabric is a polymer material with a fine-grained structure, which produces the effect of a pearl glow, regardless of the selected fabric color. Such ceilings with applied elements look great, which give the surface individuality. When buying satin, it should be remembered that this is an artificial material consisting of polyester fibers, which gives them both the advantages and disadvantages of PVC stretch ceilings. In general, satin ceilings are in demand by modern consumers, because they have a lower cost compared to natural fabric ceilings.
Other positive aspects of using satin designs:
Satin stretch ceiling: a spectacular surface transformation
Advantages, disadvantages and main characteristics of the canvas. How to properly care for the material. Differences from gloss and matte ceiling.
- mask noticeable defects of the main surface of the ceiling;
- protect downstream rooms from flooding, like all other PVC films;
- suitable for rooms with high levels of absolute humidity;
- have excellent strength characteristics;
- not afraid of temperature changes;
- characterized by increased heat and sound insulation properties;
- they are distinguished by a significant width (5.5 m), which makes it possible to mount seamless canvases;
- easy to install and dismantle;
- prevent the growth of fungus and mold;
- have a unique design with a pleasant sheen.
Despite the fact that satin ceilings are not subject to temperature extremes, they still should not be installed in conditions of consistently low temperatures, as is usually recommended when buying PVC sheets. The optimum operating temperature is from 5 to 50 ° C, in case of deviations from the norm, the web may deform ahead of time.
Considering the pictures of stretch ceilings, you can pay attention to the fact that most often satin canvases are installed in bedrooms. This is due to the fact that they are distinguished by a rather soft and calm color scheme. It is also popular to use them in a nursery, where it is not recommended to use too bright surfaces, and the lack of shine of satin canvases makes the materials ideal in such conditions. If you use a combination of stretch fabric with properly installed lighting equipment, the ceiling will look beautiful in the hall or living room. Satin looks especially attractive in combined multi-level designs.
Other types of fabric ceilings used to decorate rooms
Many people use textured fabric ceilings to create a unique interior. In the past few years, there has been a trend towards installing ceilings that mimic the skin of a variety of exotic animals, such as a snake or a crocodile. In this way, it turns out to emphasize the unusual design in the African safari style, which in most cases is considered exclusive.
Buying a textured coating with a variety of reliefs, ornaments or patterns opens up wide design possibilities. Therefore, such designs are suitable for creating an interior both in an apartment, country cottage, office, and in an office or commercial building.
Various photos of fabric ceilings prove the relevance of using a textured coating that imitates stone, wood, expensive Venetian plaster or other natural finishing materials, the application of which takes a long time and requires significant costs and complex preparatory work.
In classic expensive interiors, for example, baroque, it is popular to use canvas imitating velvet or marble. Thus, it will turn out with minimal costs to emphasize the high status of the owner. At the same time, not everyone is able to distinguish the canvas from the original surface.
Textured fabric ceilings are offered on trading floors in a wide range. The embossed pattern can be convex or sagged, and in color it can be either bright or restrained. For those who want to emphasize the attractiveness of the classic Provence style, canvases with small floral patterns are suitable. Other popular design elements on textile ceilings are other decorative design features:
- floristic motifs that can be placed all over the canvas, in its central part, or only along the edges;
- pictures with birds, butterflies and other animals and insects;
- abstract compositions with intricate images;
- textured fantasies resembling metal or wood carvings.
How else are stretch fabric ceilings classified?
Divide stretch ceilings and, depending on the complexity of the design. They can be single or multi-level. The price of a simple shape (single-level) suspended ceiling will be significantly lower than the cost of a complex multi-level structure. At the same time, one should not think that if you do not make complex shapes, the ceiling will be boring. You can add mood surfaces by applying an unusual print or texture. The main advantages are quick installation and no need to create a complex design. In some cases, it is more relevant to install a complex multi-level structure, these include the following situations:
- When designing a spacious room when the roll size is not enough to create a seamless design.
- In the event that it is required to hide significant irregularities of the main coating, which is better done by installing an additional profile in the central part of the ceiling.
- With high ceilings that create unnecessary volume in the room.
Helpful information! The features of the German manufacturer Descor fabric ceilings are the absence of a seam and the extraordinary whiteness of the canvas. Of course, the price of seamless stretch ceilings is slightly higher, but the result will exceed everyone's expectations.
In addition, stretch ceilings are divided into the following types:
- Classic. They are canvases of pastel colors, which in appearance are similar to high-quality and painted ceilings.
- Ceilings in the style of art design. The basis of the canvas is art painting or photo printing, which is created according to an individual order and is considered one of a kind.
- Acoustic. The ceiling is made of a special material that can well dampen the flow of sound waves (due to the special porous structure). These features are endowed with fabrics at the production stage.
- Suede material. This kind of fabric is very close in texture to natural suede. The soft texture dampens the light and distributes it throughout the room. Interiors with suede ceilings look elegant, noble and expensive.
- Light canvas. A thin, translucent fabric used to create the effect of a galaxy or a starry night sky. Another name is translucent or translucent fabric. When installing a fabric cloth, it is permissible to install some lamps directly under the material.
Fabric stretch ceiling: popular manufacturers
Specialists in the creation of building and finishing materials from year to year develop new design methods. Despite the innovations, stretch ceilings are still widespread and do not lose their relevance.
Today, many companies are engaged in the production of stretch fabrics. Among the popular and high-quality materials, one of the leading places is occupied by the Descor stretch ceilings of the German brand of the same name. The product is manufactured at a factory in Germany using innovative equipment. The company uses carefully selected raw materials in the production, so the products fully comply with environmental quality standards.
In the production of Descor fabric ceilings, the company uses materials from the special Trevira CS fiber. The special molecular structure of the web fills the material with increased fire resistance. The products of the German brand are in high demand not only in Russia, but all over the world. Despite its popularity, the brand continues to conquer new markets and attract customers. The manufacturer monitors current trends in interior design and customer feedback, which helps to constantly improve the quality of the material.
The designers point out that the individual specifics of Descor seamless stretch ceilings are ideal for creating the interior of different rooms in the house. It is a stylish and practical solution for offices and halls, as well as living rooms and bedrooms. In all rooms, the fabric fully reveals the beauty and richness of colors, and the seamless surface looks elegant and expensive.
Important! Despite the fact that the price of a stretch fabric ceiling is about 1000 rubles / m², experts still do not recommend installing the canvas in a room with high humidity and persistent odors. Therefore, you should not install ceilings in the bathroom or kitchen.
The main advantage is the fact that the material for the ceiling has unique acoustic properties. The canvas significantly reduces the echo effect and absorbs unnecessary noise, creating at the same time a pleasant and comfortable atmosphere in the room.
Photos and prices of Clipso and Cerutti stretch fabric ceilings
Clipso fabric stretch ceilings are considered the most practical and durable option for decorating ceilings. The material does not emit toxic substances and vapors, and also has European quality certificates confirming the safety of using canvases.
Potolkoff's Clipso seamless canvases and glitter fabrics are especially popular, helping to fill the interior with a special mood and a pleasant glow. This large Swiss company produces high quality fabric ceilings characterized by intricate weaving of fibers. Clipso products are finished with polymeric materials on both sides. A large number of different canvases of different designs are presented on trading floors. The average cost of fabric stretch ceilings is 1100-1300 rubles / m².
Сlipso ceilings are realized in rolls from 2 to 5.1 m wide. As for the shades, more than 40 different canvas colors are presented on the catalog pages. Additionally, the company offers the buyer a more expensive collection characterized by the following effects:
Cerutti is another well-known brand of Italian origin that offers consumers high quality and durable fabrics. The durability of the web is due to the presence of two-sided impregnation based on a polyurethane solution. If desired, it is permissible to additionally cover the ceiling with a special varnish, which will help simplify the maintenance of the canvas. The company is engaged in the production of products mainly in pastel shades.
Consumers have long noted the highest quality of Cerutti brand products. The advantages are not only beautiful design, but also durability, quick installation, high moisture resistance. To the disadvantages of the materials of the Italian manufacturer, buyers attribute only the high price per m2 of fabric stretch ceiling, which is higher than that of other companies, and starts from 1500 rubles.
As for the price of fabrics, it is slightly higher than the cost of PVC ceilings, but high manufacturability, easy installation and attractive appearance can justify all costs. If you do not pay attention to popular manufacturers, it can be noted that, on average, prices with installation vary as follows:
- white linen - 900-1600 rubles / m²;
- color - 1300-1900;
- with sparkles - 1900-2100;
- with images or photo printing - 2300-2500.
How to choose the right material: expert advice
Original fabric ceilings are gaining popularity in relation to PVC films and other materials, because, first of all, they are distinguished by environmental friendliness and pleasant texture. Before making stretch ceilings in such a way that they serve longer, you should consider the advice of professionals:
- It is quite possible to stretch the ceiling alone, because in this case a heat gun is not needed, as when installing PVC ceilings. But you should not do this work without having certain skills.
- Before installing the canvas, it is necessary to decide what type of lighting to use and prepare the wiring in advance.
- The fabric must be handled carefully and carefully. Despite the fact that the material is quite dense and durable, it can still be damaged.
- You should be especially careful when choosing a baguette, without which the interior will not look complete.
- If, after installing the canvas, small pieces of excess material remain, it is not recommended to get rid of them. They can be tested for the action of detergents and used as patches.
- The material should only be purchased from reputable manufacturers.This will save you from purchasing a low-quality product.
- When buying, be sure to check the quality certificate. Branded products are always labeled or watermarked.
- Care must be taken when choosing colorful and colored canvases because they cannot be used in all interiors.
Stretch ceilings, although they appeared much later than PVC films, but due to their versatility and durability, quickly surpassed them in popularity. However, even the higher cost does not deter most buyers. The fabric ceiling is easy to install, it is highly durable and easily tolerates temperature extremes. If you choose the right design and buy the product from a trusted manufacturer, you will get an excellent result that will bring joy for many years.