The choice of finishing options is a task that requires special attention. Materials should have an attractive appearance, be of high quality, durable and easy to maintain. The first glossy stretch ceiling was distinguished by the high cost of both material and installation, therefore it was often considered a luxury item. Today canvases are widespread due to quick installation, a large selection of colors and long-term use.
- 1 Advantages and disadvantages of glossy stretch ceilings: photos of various options
- 2 The main options for stretch ceilings: photos of various examples
- 3 Unusual options for creating glossy ceiling surfaces: paint and film
- 4 How to decide on the color of the glossy ceiling, depending on the purpose of the room
- 5 How to wash a glossy stretch ceiling: how and how often
Advantages and disadvantages of glossy stretch ceilings: photos of various options
When carrying out repairs, in any case, you will have to face finishing work. Ceiling finishing used to be a complex surface finish. In order to get a perfectly flat ceiling, it was required to putty it with high quality, then paint it, wallpaper it or create complex structures using aluminum profiles and drywall. Thanks to stretch ceilings, the need for such work has disappeared, and an attractive glossy surface always looks elegant and attractive.
Of course, there are pros and cons of glossy stretch ceilings, so it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with all the characteristics of the structure before buying. Among the main advantages are the following:
- Visual expansion of space. This characteristic is especially relevant when decorating a small room with low ceilings, for example, a hallway, corridor or bathroom.
- Adding light to a dimly lit room. The main feature of gloss is the ability to reflect both artificial and natural light, so if the room has problems with lighting, then a ceiling with glitter is an excellent solution.
- The ability to reflect objects.All elements of the furnishings in the room are reflected on the gloss, especially if the window is reflected, the opening of which visually increases. At the same time, not everyone knows that the darker the tone of the ceiling, the better its reflectivity, for example, a black glossy stretch ceiling creates a mirror effect.
- Attractive appearance. Gloss always looks solemn, so in most cases it is used when decorating a living room, hall or kitchen-studio.
- Long service life, which in most cases reaches 15 years or more.
- Big choice. Many firms offer a wide range of colors. White glossy ceiling is very popular, which can be installed in any room.
- Good consumer qualities. The canvases are distinguished by their density, which increases the strength of the products, while they do not require special maintenance.
- Fast installation. To stretch a glossy stretch ceiling in the kitchen or in another room, you will need to spend no more than one day, while the work is not accompanied by the formation of dust or other contaminants.
- Affordable price. How much a glossy stretch ceiling costs is primarily influenced by the area of the room, as well as the choice of the type of canvas. In most cases, prices are considered affordable for any user.
Helpful advice! If you do not want to make the entire ceiling glossy, it is recommended to install structures combined with drywall. However, in this case, it is important to have ceilings of at least 2.80 cm, because this option takes 10-12 cm in height.
Stretch ceiling glossy: the main disadvantages of using
The coatings do not have serious flaws, but are more demanding in terms of maintenance. Their surfaces quickly accumulate dust and other contaminants, which are always clearly visible on the gloss. If the ceiling is made of PVC, it can happen that caring for it becomes a real problem for many owners, since the material is very thin and prone to damage. The disadvantages of a stretch glossy ceiling include:
- Specular reflection of light sources at night. Lights from car headlights or street lamps can irritate owners and interfere with their healthy sleep. For this reason, shiny surfaces are not recommended for use in bedrooms.
- It is undesirable to install a mirrored ceiling in rooms that are too small. In such conditions, the room will seem even smaller, since another 10 cm will be "stolen" during installation.
- Not all fixtures are suitable for glossy materials. Stretch ceilings should be supplemented with special light bulbs, because simple options can be very hot and can melt a glossy surface.
Another disadvantage of glossy stretch ceilings (reviews are confirmation of this) is that the seams between the canvases are strongly visible on the surface. Therefore, you should not install a glossy ceiling in a room more than 5.5 meters wide: this is the maximum value of the width of the film roll. Most often, this indicator of the canvas is limited to 3.2 meters.
The main options for stretch ceilings: photos of various examples
To make it easier to make a decision, you should think over the project in advance, view photos of glossy ceilings and study the main types of construction. After that, it will be possible not only to get an idea of the features of the stretch canvases, but also to choose the best option for a particular room. In general, the ceiling structure consists of two main components:
- Frame (base). The shape of the future ceiling primarily depends on it. The main component of the structure is an aluminum profile, which is fixed to a wall or ceiling.
- Stretch cloth.The decorative component of the ceiling, stretched between pre-installed profiles, forms a smooth and even surface when pulled.
Helpful information! Whichever type of ceiling is chosen, the design is carried out according to the same principle, but it may differ in quality and functionality.
Other selection parameters are the number and shape of the levels. Thanks to the frame, you can give the canvas any shape, be it wavy ceilings, bizarre geometric shapes or shapes. According to an individual idea, you can create an imitation of a river, lake or meadow, think over a flat or multi-tiered option.
Stretch canvases with a glossy sheen have gained popularity due to the ability to mount a large number of lighting elements into the structure, which make the picture of the ceiling integral. It is important to note that in order to avoid excessive overheating of the surface, it is better to select options for diode lighting, because it is these lights that can burn for a long time and do not heat the surrounding surface.
In addition, it is the diode lighting that consumes the minimum amount of electricity. Some designers, along with glossy ceilings, prefer to install diode strips, which can be used to outline the shape of the stretch canvas and add volume surfaces due to special lighting.
Technical characteristics of glossy white and colored PVC stretch ceilings
As for the choice of a glossy ceiling by type of material, the most popular is PVC film mounted on a finished frame. When installing, a special heat gun is used, therefore, without the presence of a tool, it will not work to pull the ceiling on your own. The main advantages of PVC coatings include:
- High moisture resistance. The ceiling can be used in places with high humidity.
- Easy to care for. The cloth can be washed with normal detergents.
- A wide selection of colors and textures, which facilitates the choice of design.
- Fast installation. For installation, you do not need to prepare the base ceiling and take out furniture.
- Thanks to the coating, you can hide the engineering communications that are under the ceiling.
- Fungus and mold do not grow on the tension material.
- The ability to print photos on the surface.
- High quality ceilings from renowned manufacturers are environmentally friendly.
- High material strength. The ceiling can be used for 30 years, during which time it does not change color, does not fade or lose its shape.
- The PVC ceiling does not attract dust, does not accumulate odors, is non-flammable.
An important disadvantage of glossy PVC ceilings is that they are categorically not recommended for use in unheated rooms.
Unusual options for creating glossy ceiling surfaces: paint and film
In addition to using a stretch ceiling, the gloss effect can be achieved with the help of improvised means. So, glossy ceiling paint is able to reflect surfaces due to the presence of a large amount of resins in the paint mixture, which, after complete drying, form a glossy film.
Glossy paint, in contrast to matte, is characterized by greater resistance and easy maintenance. For this reason, many recommend installing a glossy ceiling in the kitchen, where the possibility of surface contamination is constantly present. It is very important to choose the right type of paint, because the material differs in the degree of gloss.
Helpful information! To choose the right paint for creating a glossy ceiling, you should pay attention to the marking, which can vary from 0 to 100. The higher the number on the marking, the higher the gloss index.
When buying professional painters, they recommend giving preference to silicone paint, which has the longest period of operation, and besides, it is practically not contaminated. Due to its water-repellent properties, silicone paint can be used to create a glossy bathroom ceiling. Another important advantage is the absence of the likelihood of fungal infection.
A large number of advantages also affect the cost of the material, which is usually higher than that of standard options such as acrylic and water-based paints. The main condition when using paint of any type is to prepare an ideal surface, because after the coating dries, even the smallest irregularities will appear on the ceiling.
It is popular to use self-adhesive PVC film with a sticky paper backing to create a glossy effect. At the same time, one roll contains 15 meters of material. For the film to have an exceptional glossy effect, an additional layer of polyester is applied to it. If you follow the application technology, then in terms of reflective characteristics, the film will not be inferior to an ordinary stretch ceiling, and only a person who constantly collides with such coatings can distinguish one material from another.
Most often, the film is used for pasting multi-level plasterboard ceilings. Here, you should also pay great attention to surface preparation, especially when making joints between sheets, which must not only be putty, but also processed with fine-grained sandpaper.
Before applying the film, the surface is additionally primed. Sticking the film itself will not cause difficulties, because one side of the coating is sticky. The main thing is to be careful in the process of work. Many people combine glossy film with matte surfaces to create an added effect, resulting in eye-catching custom designs.
Other options for creating glossy ceilings indoors: PVC panels, glass, slats
Plastic panels are a common budget option that helps create a glossy effect. They are rarely used in bedrooms, but in the kitchen, balcony, toilet, bathroom or corridor, this way of decorating the ceiling is considered the most common. In addition to the low cost, the advantages of buying a suspended ceiling from panels include:
- no need for complex preparatory work for leveling;
- easy installation and maintenance;
- obtaining a smooth, attractive surface.
To install the panels, you will need to additionally purchase a frame that is adjusted to the dimensions of the ceiling, the panels are then inserted one after another using a lock. If the ceiling has a large area, it is additionally recommended to fix a wooden frame, to which the panels will then be screwed.
It is also possible to provide a glossy shine to the ceiling with the help of glass, while natural material is not always used for these purposes. It is perfectly acceptable to use acrylic, which is less expensive and durable. These positive qualities make acrylic ideal for organizing kitchen ceilings and bathroom surfaces.
The most expensive option for a glass ceiling is considered to be a mirrored one, which is great for public places without natural light, such as bars, restaurants, clubs.Some people who like to experiment use mirrors to decorate halls and even bedrooms.
Practical and aesthetic characteristics, advantages and disadvantages. Features of installation, cost, customer reviews.
The slatted structure is a suspended ceiling made of aluminum plates with a thickness of 0.3 to 0.6 mm. The panels can have a glossy mirror-like surface or have a golden finish. You can often find colored ceilings in the interior, created as a result of alternating plates of different shades. The slatted structure with a glossy surface is considered durable and looks solid, which allows the ceilings to look unusual.
How to decide on the color of the glossy ceiling, depending on the purpose of the room
A ceiling with a glossy sheen can be used in any room of the house, expanding its space and using the play of color. A wide range of materials allows you to create the ceiling yourself or order installation from professional companies. A selection of photos of colored stretch ceilings demonstrates that a large selection of shades makes it possible to choose any option and think over a unique design in any room.
When choosing a color for decorating the ceiling in a room, it is recommended to adhere to some rules that will help create a harmonious space:
- Do not place more than three different shades on one plane. In the photo of colored stretch ceilings in the interior, you can see that surfaces where this rule is ignored look too motley and clumsy.
- You should choose the color of the ceiling after you have decided on the color of the walls. Many people are interested in the question of what to do first: to glue the wallpaper or stretch the ceiling. Most professionals will favor wallpaper.
- When choosing a ceiling color, you must also focus on the color of the flooring. If the lower part of the room is bright, then it is better to make the ceiling neutral.
- Light cold glossy stretch ceilings in the bathroom (or any other small room) will visually expand the space.
In the photo of stretch glossy ceilings for the hall, you can see that it is popular to combine several contrasting shades on one surface of a large area. It is important to clarify that seamless canvases are produced only under factory conditions.
Helpful advice! If it is difficult to decide on the color of the glossy stretch ceiling in the bedroom or in any other room, you can opt for one of the universal options, which includes a glossy beige stretch ceiling, as well as lilac, white or cream.
White glossy stretch ceiling: photos of interiors, features of using canvas
White is considered a classic and versatile color. It can be used in a room for any purpose, because the light tone is combined with any surface. The main advantages of white:
- purity of color;
- freshness in the room;
Glossy stretch ceilings for bedrooms (the photo clearly illustrates this) are most often used, especially when it comes to a room of limited area or with a low ceiling. It is necessary that in a low room the ceiling is lighter than the floor covering, which can be made beige or cream, perfectly shading the white top. An important advantage of the white ceiling is the ability to combine with any surface. Some styles even prefer the design of all surfaces in light shades, for example:
- high tech.
The main advantages of using a white stretch ceiling:
- good illumination due to the high percentage of reflected light;
- visual expansion of the room;
- the ability to install furniture of any color.
White is easy to combine with any other tones, and it is also easy to find a suitable chandelier or spotlights. Often, a white gloss is used as an insert in a drywall base. Another significant advantage is that the price of a glossy stretch ceiling in white is slightly lower than the cost of canvas in other colors.
How and where to correctly use a black glossy ceiling
Not many people dare to choose a black gloss for decorating ceilings in a residential area, therefore, by and large, such a coating is considered exclusive. Use black color with care, correctly combining structural elements. The main advantages of using a black glossy stretch ceiling (photos show well-designed interiors):
- Nobility and luxury of color. The almost mirror-like shine of black will make any room look chic and elegant.
- Versatility. Despite a certain "depressiveness" of black, it is considered a classic color, which is appropriate to use in the classic style, modern, gothic, art deco and hi-tech.
- The best way to highlight details in contrast. Due to the neutrality of the color against the black background, it will be easy to accentuate other tones: white, red, pink, etc.
Very often, black gloss is combined with a "starry sky", which is complemented by LED and fiber optic lamps. A large ceiling chandelier with many small bulbs will look no less attractive and expensive.
For those who like to experiment, use a black ceiling as an accent piece, decorating the background walls with pink wallpaper or simple decorations, creating an effect of a combination of incongruous. If you don't want to make a black ceiling in living quarters, it is quite affordable to decorate a toilet, living room or bathroom with a canvas.
How to wash a glossy stretch ceiling: how and how often
You need to start looking after a glossy stretch ceiling almost immediately after installation. Due to the fact that the canvases are treated with antistatic agents that prevent dust settling, they do not require frequent maintenance, it is quite enough to walk on the ceiling with a vacuum cleaner once a year, and wipe it with soapy water once every 2 years. Before you wash the glossy stretch ceiling, you should take a closer look at the coating.
If the material has lost its former luster, you can start working. As for the ceiling in the kitchen, here you need to monitor the appearance of greasy stains and, if possible, remove them immediately, because over time it may not be possible to do this without damaging the structure.
Before cleaning, you should take care of the necessary equipment, because it will not be possible to wash the glossy ceiling with conventional means. The vacuum cleaner must have a power adjustment, because during work, it will need to be set to an average level. The option with a smooth surface is chosen as a nozzle - it is strictly forbidden to use brushes. If in doubt about the softness of the nozzle, it is best not to touch the surface of the blade.
How to clean a glossy stretch ceiling at home? For work, you need a soft cloth - a special lint-free microfiber, which is used to polish mirrors or glass.For ease of use, you can pre-wind the fabric on the mop, while it is important to monitor the degree of pressure. How to wash glossy stretch ceilings without streaks? The main agent is considered to be a special detergent solution containing alcohol, but it is not used if photo printing is applied to the canvas. In this case, it is better to wash the surface with a simple soapy solution.
Glossy stretch ceiling is an excellent way of surface finishing that does not require complex and dusty preparatory work. Despite the fact that the installation is carried out within a maximum of 24 hours, the canvases with proper care will last at least 15-20 years. Premises with glossy ceilings always look light and elegant, and most importantly, they do not require any complicated maintenance. It is important to take seriously the choice of color and shape in order to enjoy the appearance of the room for a long time.