To make the cat feel like a full-fledged member of the family, he, like everyone else, needs to allocate a cozy corner where he can relax and unwind. There is always an opportunity to choose a ready-made option on store shelves, but a do-it-yourself bed for cats will become not only attractive, but also an integral part of the interior. It is especially important that most product variants do not require a large investment of money or time.
- 1 Top reasons to install a cat bed
- 2 What do-it-yourself cat loungers can do: the main product options
- 3 Bed for a cat: the nuances of manufacturing and choosing a place for installation
- 4 How to sew a do-it-yourself bed for cats: making a product with sides
Top reasons to install a cat bed
Animal rearing experts recommend that every owner equip a sleeping place for a cat. The animal will know the space in which it can sleep or rest peacefully, from where no one will drive it out, push it or simply bother it.
Helpful information! During sleep, an animal of any breed sheds a large amount of wool. Cat litter can help avoid hair build-up in unnecessary areas.
If the animal gets used to rest only in its own bed, it will simplify the process of cleaning the whole house, because it does not have to waste time cleaning other furniture. In addition, clothes that cling to a large amount of wool will be less dirty, especially if you sit where your pet has recently slept.
It's easy to arrange a place for a cat yourself. Some put a little more effort and create entire play complexes equipped not only with a place to sleep, but also with a variety of climbing frames and scratching posts. Having such a personal space, the pet will be able to grind off its claws, play with a soft toy suspended from a rope, and fiddle with its bedding with its hind legs.
Before you make a do-it-yourself lounger for a cat with a play complex, it is recommended to study the photos illustrating various product options. Such a couch will help preserve the integrity of the furniture upholstery placed in the apartment. In addition, the installed scratching post will allow you to protect the wallpaper in the corners and other places where the pet sharpens its claws. Moreover, it should be borne in mind that a pet, unlike a street animal, does not have the ability to grind its claws on hard concrete or tree trunks. Cats prefer to do this anywhere they are comfortable. If you do not offer the animal an alternative option where you can grind the claws, then it is pointless to scold him.
Other reasons highlighting the importance of installing a cat bed
It is imperative to sew a bed for the cat, which is preparing for the appearance of offspring, because otherwise the kittens will be born where the newly-made mother cat decides. A comfortable place should be established at least 2-3 weeks before the expected birth, so that the cat gets used to the place and assesses its safety. It is important for the animal to be comfortable and comfortable inside, so that the sides do not allow the kittens to roll out of the nest.
When creating a bed for a cat with your own hands, you should choose the right size. It is imperative to provide that the animal has enough space inside, not only during sleep, when it curls up, but also during "puffing", when the cat stretches its legs. You should not make the bed too large, because animals like a limited space more than an open one.
As for the form, there are no special restrictions. The main thing is that the pet is comfortable. In addition, it is necessary that the bed fits well with the surrounding interior. The photo of the bed for cats shows that, in addition to standard rectangular shapes, there are also products of an unusual configuration. The most amusing are the couches that imitate the following items:
- big boots;
- miniature sofa or bed;
- royal throne.
Popular among animals and their owners are beds for a kitten or a cat in the form of semi-houses, which have side walls and a roof. Pets will also like this option, because in any case, cats are initially wild animals, therefore, hunting instincts are inherent in them by nature. In this case, the house will serve not only for sleeping, but also for organizing a secluded place to attack the enemy. And many cats prefer to sleep in spaces closed on all sides, for example, in wardrobes, bedside tables or a sofa.
You should not give up on simple ideas, for example, from creating a hammock for a cat with your own hands. Despite the fact that some people find the design uncomfortable, nevertheless, a pet can lie in a hammock and at the same time observe what is happening around it, especially if the product is fixed somewhere high. When creating a cat place, you should also take into account some features of the animal, among which it is worth noting:
- Character. A calm animal hardly needs a lot of entertainment, but it is better for a playful cat to fasten rustling toys on strings nearby.
- Habits. If the pet loves to hunt constantly, it is better to make him a closed shelter in which he can safely hide.
- Size and weight. If the house is fixed at a height, you need to evaluate the capabilities of the cat.For example, it will be difficult for pets who are overweight to jump onto high-placed couches, so it is better to place them directly on the floor.
- Health status. Injured or visually impaired cats need to set a bed as close to the floor as possible so that they can climb inside without unnecessary movements.
What do-it-yourself cat loungers can do: the main product options
As a rule, many owners prefer to sew a pillow for the cat on which she can sleep peacefully. And you don't have to spend a lot of time or effort to make it. Not everyone necessarily needs to focus on just this option. Among other types of cat beds made from improvised means, there are the following:
- bed for cats on the battery. It is especially important to choose owners of short-haired breeds of pets and bald sphinxes, it is these animals who like to be warm more than others. Furry pets, most likely, will bypass the battery, but everything can change if the animal is trimmed;
- a place to sleep with bumpers. The products are simple to manufacture, however, the side walls, unlike an ordinary pillow, do not allow the animal to accidentally roll out of the bounds during sleep. On such a bed, the cat will feel completely safe;
- house out of the box. An important advantage of such a dwelling is the almost complete absence of manufacturing costs, because in every house you can find an old box lying around from a TV or other equipment. In this case, various decor options are used to give individuality;
- a bed from a suitcase. A great addition to a loft or vintage interior. For manufacturing, you only need an old suitcase and a pillow that matches the size of the inner space. At the same time, it is important to cut off the lid of the suitcase so that it does not accidentally close and does not injure the pet;
- a place to sleep in the form of a shell. The bed has a closed shape and, as a rule, is made of felt, pleasant to the touch. To decorate the interior space, as in other cases, a pillow is used;
- bed for a cat. You can often see that loving housewives and owners like to create sleeping places for the animal that imitate a sofa or bed on which they themselves sleep. This option will look interesting, but not every cat wants to use this place to sleep.
Bed for a cat: manufacturing nuances and choosing a place for installation
The cat hammock is especially suitable for pets who like to spend time outdoors. It is convenient that to fix the hammock, you can not make special supports, but use the legs of a table, chair or stools for this. For greater safety, durable fabrics should be used in the manufacture, for example, old jeans are perfect for this purpose.
The main types of structures. How to determine the size, type of fastening and sheathing. Manufacturing materials, instructions and drawings.
You can use old belts or scarves to hang the crib. In general, a hammock for a cat is considered a full-fledged sleeping place. If the bed is intended for an old or sick animal, the hammock should not be fixed high above the floor, and it is also better to use additional materials to make the bottom solid.
Useful advice! For those who are familiar with the art of knitting, it will not be difficult to build an unusual lounger. The main thing is to choose the optimal composition of the fabric so that it does not fade or become electrified, otherwise the cat may not "accept" the bed.It should also be taken into account that the product after washing should not shrink or change its shape.
As for the place of installation of the lounger, then first of all you need to focus on the habits of the animal and on the convenience of location. For example, it is not recommended to put a cat bed in such places:
- near sources of fire;
- near noisy household appliances;
- where the vibration of washing appliances is constantly felt;
- in a draft;
- in damp and cool corners.
Many cats are known to love sleeping on their owner's bed. If the animal needs to be weaned from this, it is recommended to install a bed near the bed. For animals that love loneliness and solitude, it is better to design a full-fledged house with a roof.
It is very convenient if, if necessary, you can rearrange the dwelling to another place, because in winter it will be much more pleasant for a tailed one to sleep near a radiator or other heating device. For especially freezing cats, it is appropriate to make a small shelf right above the battery, where a lounger will fit. When installing a cat's place, it is important to take into account that the animal can climb into it without problems, otherwise the crib will remain unclaimed.
How to create a do-it-yourself bed for cats from scrap materials
If you go to a pet store, then the high price of play complexes and ordinary beds immediately catches your eye. But even the high cost of the product is not a guarantee that the animal inside will be comfortable, that he will immediately climb inside and sleep with joy. It often happens that high sides do not help the pet: having fallen out of the bed only once, the cat may be afraid to sleep there in the future.
It is not always possible to find a product that not only meets all the requirements, but also fits perfectly into the surrounding interior. If you make a do-it-yourself bed for a cat, you will be able to create the most comfortable place for a pet, which serves as an ideal addition to any room or interior.
It is interesting! No special skills are required for manufacturing, because almost every owner can sew a bed for a cat, even one who has never taken a needle in his hands before. Simple illustrated instructions and simple video tutorials will help you do this.
After it becomes clear what the cottages for cats are, you can begin to select the optimal option in a particular case. If a person happens to be the happy owner of several animals, then it is necessary for each individual to organize an individual place to sleep. Before making a bed for a cat, you should consider the following prerequisites:
- The selected materials must tolerate washing well, even at high temperatures. This is especially true for a street cat, which can bring various diseases into the house.
- Everything that makes up the bed must be resistant to the effects of teeth and claws.
- If a crib with a filler is used, it is better to make a removable cover, which will greatly facilitate the care of the product.
- Dimensions should be comfortable for the animal - not too large and not too small.
- The materials used to make a crib for a cat should not be electrified, because such a bed will attract not only wool, but also dust.
- It is necessary to choose pillows that have the optimum degree of softness. If the bed is too full, the animal will roll, and if it is too soft, it will fall inside. Therefore, you need to give preference to the optimal option that contributes to the comfortable position of the animal.
- You should not use paper clips to fasten parts to which the cat can cling with claws, or self-tapping screws, which often cause hair to be pulled out.
Some tips for animal safety
It is necessary to give preference to improvised materials that fit perfectly into the surrounding interior. In addition, special attention should be paid to the safety of the pet. It is especially important to provide good attachments when installing the cat bed at a height, for example, on the wall, above the radiator or on the back of the sofa. It should be remembered that the animal, when jumping, creates an additional load on the entire structure, especially if the cat is large in size.
It is not always necessary to spend money on the purchase of special tools for manufacturing. For this, materials that are easy to find in any apartment are quite suitable:
- boards and plywood;
- old jeans, sweaters, blankets;
- thick cardboard.
As for the stuffing material, in this case, synthetic winterizer or foam rubber is most often chosen. A do-it-yourself cat bed that imitates a beanbag chair will look very impressive, especially if there are similar seating places in the apartment. If it was decided to stay on a rigid structure, then a suitcase or even a bottom made of PVC pipes would be suitable as a basis.
Other helpful tips on how to make a do-it-yourself cat bed:
- If the bed is intended for a sick cat or kitten that has not yet been accustomed to the tray, it is better to make the bottom waterproof by covering with a flannel oilcloth or disposable diaper, which can be easily changed.
- It is better to use only personal old things for the bed, because they differ in the familiar smell of the owner, while extraneous odors can scare the animal away.
- Before you sew a bed for a cat, you should study the preferences of your pet. You need to pay attention to what surfaces he likes to lie on most often. In this case, the likelihood that the animal will use the product from the favorite material for its intended purpose will be higher.
- It is not recommended to take loose or bouclé fabric for making, because such options are short-lived.
- For convenience, covers are best done with a zipper or Velcro. If a sealed bottom is planned, the cover must be removable - otherwise the cleaning process will be much more complicated.
- The lounger, which is planned to be installed on the street or in a cold hallway, is better insulated from below with a sheet of foam plastic so that cold does not come from the ground.
Useful advice! Particularly durable products are characterized by a solid base. But in this case, it is imperative to sew a removable cover so that you can wash it if necessary. The cover can be attached with locks, Velcro or even double-sided tape.
When choosing the type of filler, it must be borne in mind that, for example, a wool padding will quickly shrink, a synthetic winterizer after each wash will stray into lumps, the foam rubber can flake and tear. It is better if the filler is first stuffed into a woven cover, on which a removable cover is put on top. This will allow washing only the cover, and not touching the filler.
How to sew do-it-yourself bed for cats: making a product with sides
A large number of photos of do-it-yourself cat bed patterns are available on the network, allowing you to save a significant amount of time when making a dwelling for an animal. The use of ready-made schemes and templates will help, firstly, to calculate the amount of material required, and secondly, it will allow you not to forget about additional details and nuances.
In order to sew a bed for a cat with bumpers, you will need:
- some foam rubber or padding polyester;
- a piece of the desired fabric;
- thick cardboard;
- needles and threads.
After preparing the basic materials, you should start making patterns for the cat lounger with your own hands. To do this, you need to cut out a long strip from cardboard or, at least from newspaper, with a depression in the middle, which in the future will become an entrance, and an oval piece as a basis for the bottom. In this case, the width of the strip should correspond to the height of the side of the bed, and the length is selected taking into account the dimensions of the circumference of the future rookery. Do not forget to leave 2-3 cm for allowances on both parts. Step-by-step instructions for a do-it-yourself cat bed looks like this:
- After preparing the pattern of the bed for the cat, two long sides of the bead should be stitched from the inside out, and then turned out the finished product to the front side.
- Rectangles are cut out of foam rubber or padding polyester, corresponding to the sizes of the finished blanks, after which they are inserted into the sides.
- The edges of the beads will be easier to sew by hand, although experienced seamstresses can also use the sewing machine.
- To strengthen the bottom, a dense thick fabric is selected. If no suitable fabric was found, an oval cut from cardboard or even plywood is perfect for this purpose.
- After that, the bottom is sewn to the sides.
In the last step, a pillowcase is made for the pillow that is laid on the bottom. To do this, two oval parts of the desired size are cut out and sewn together from the inside out. It is required to leave a small gap through which the filler will be inserted. After reaching the optimum density, the hole is carefully sutured. The finished pillow is placed on the bottom, after which the product can be considered finished.
Useful advice! In addition to the fact that you can use a pillow to decorate the bottom, an old blanket or a small soft rug is also suitable.
Do-it-yourself cat bed sofa: step by step instructions
A model in the form of a sofa will look unusual and attractive, especially if you try to make it in accordance with an ordinary sofa already installed in the room. In fact, a place for a cat can become a mini-copy of it. To complete the construction you will need:
- foam rubber;
- the cloth;
4 parts are prepared from a sheet of foam: two of them will act as side boards, the other two are used to make the back and base. Thus, the result of the work should be two large rectangular blanks and the same number of small ones. In this case, it is necessary that the small parts are completely the same, and the part for the seat must be larger than for the back.
The back and seat are glued together, after which the sides are glued, resulting in a kind of sofa frame. To make the finished cat sofa more comfortable, the product should be thickened with foam rubber, the dimensions of which should correspond to the finished frame. It should be borne in mind that covering the product with foam rubber will slightly reduce it, so the frame should be made a little larger.
After gluing the foam rubber, the upholstery is started. So that the squeak of foam is not heard during the movements of the cat, it is better to make the cover from a dense fabric. Fluffy textiles or an old blanket made of natural material will do.
Having made a sofa, it should be measured in order to prepare patterns for the cat's bed with your own hands, not forgetting to leave a margin for allowances. After that, the fabric is laid out, all elements are sewn using a sewing machine or by hand.
Useful advice! For a tighter fit, it is recommended to use textiles for upholstery that are distinguished by their ability to stretch. This material is called bielastic.
So that soon you do not have to clean the entire product, you should additionally lay a cape or a small rug on top, which can be washed separately.
How to sew a bed for a cat from an old cheesecake sweater
Despite the fact that on the network you can find a large number of do-it-yourself photos of cat bed patterns, not everyone wants to bother - most tend to make the simplest options. In almost every home, in a closet, you can find old sweaters that no one has worn for a long time, but they never get around to throwing them away. Using such things, you can easily sew a do-it-yourself cat bed. Below is a step-by-step instruction for making a cat bed:
- to make a couch, you need to cut off the collar of the clothes and sew the neckline. The seam is best done using strong reinforced threads;
- perform a line above the chest, observing such a distance from the cut off throat to the line, which will be equal to the width of the sleeves;
- evenly fill the sides with the selected filler. If the future crib is filled unevenly, the bed will look untidy;
- after the base is made with loose sides, packing of the base begins. However, before that, you need to strengthen the bottom using thick cardboard inserted between the sheets of clothing;
- to make it more pleasant for the animal to be inside, it is recommended to add holofiber or synthetic winterizer;
- when the bottom is ready, proceed to completing the design of the crib. The sleeves of the sweater are connected into a ring so that no folds are formed;
- at the final stage, the sides are sewn to the product. If the stuffing is tight, it is better to sew by hand; when the fill is loose, you can try sewing with a sewing machine.
At the end of the work, it is important to check that all pins and needles have been removed. Excess threads should be cut off. After that, making a soft bed for a cat with your own hands from a sweater can be considered complete.
How to make a bed for a cat- hammock made of scrap materials
Installing a homemade hammock has many advantages:
- If you think over the installation correctly, the product will not take up free space in the room.
- It is very easy to make a pattern of a bed for a cat with your own hands.
- Most animals will love this design, especially if it is set high above the floor so that you can see what is happening around.
A hammock is considered a universal place to sleep, because it can be installed both outdoors and in the house. At the same time, there is a large selection of mounting options. Some owners prefer to install the bed on the floor or pull the structure between the furniture legs. Animals love hammocks mounted on a radiator or mounted high on a wall.
Helpful information! Hammocks for cats on the windows, which are fixed to the glass with suction cups, are becoming more and more popular. It will be interesting for the animal to lie down and watch what is happening on the street from a height.
Thick wire or PVC pipe is often used as a base, with the help of which a frame equipped with hooks is created. It is thanks to these elements that fastening occurs, for example, to the heating battery. The main thing in this case is to make a frame of a suitable size, after which a textile cover is sewn that matches the size of the finished base.
Between the battery and the wall, it is appropriate to make a wooden frame on supports installed behind the radiator. Then, using a simple pattern (or even without it), the cover is sewn together. If you don't want to bother with sewing at all, an old sweater or other clothing is used as a hammock.
The simplest version of a hammock for a cat is considered to be a canvas stretched between the legs of a table or chair. In this case, it is not required to perform the frame, because the legs are used for fastening, to which the sewn canvas is tied. Among the original ideas, one can single out wall or even ceiling couches. In this case, you should competently think about a way to allow the cat to get inside. Most often, multi-tiered beds are installed. You can also fix the hammock using wide ribbons of dense textiles tied to the ceiling hook.
How to make a do-it-yourself cat bed out of the box and suitcase
The box is considered the simplest material for making a cat's place, because there are already walls and a base. Depending on where you plan to install the base, you can modify the base. For example, if the box is designed for the street, it is better to lay sheets of foam plastic at the bottom as additional insulation. In order not to take up space inside the box, the sheets are fixed from the outside, this is how it will turn out to make the house warmer and stronger.
Especially it is not required to prepare the base, but if cutouts are made, they need to be well cleaned with sandpaper and covered with tape. The easiest option to make is a couch made of a box and a T-shirt stretched over a finished frame. In this case, the neck of the garment serves as an entrance. After the t-shirt is pulled tight, it is secured to the bottom with glue or double-sided tape. It is undesirable to use paper clips, because the animal can catch on with its claws.
It is better to lay a soft pillow or an old blanket on the bottom. The box makes a great temporary shelter for your cat. A significant disadvantage of such a product is a short service life, but the low cost and ease of manufacture allow, if necessary, to create new beds.
The base from an old suitcase is considered much more durable. At the same time, in order to install the bed higher, you can use an old stool as a support, in which the bed is fixed with ordinary nails or self-tapping screws. It is important to make sure that the hats are securely covered with upholstery, because otherwise the pet's fur can get stuck there. It is perfectly acceptable to simply glue the legs to the bottom of the suitcase, using construction glue for this.
If several cats live in the house, you can make a two-story house out of a suitcase, using the bottom and lid. In this case, you will need to make a frame out of wood or pipes, where cat beds are then installed. Installing a suitcase on a pre-made shelf is considered the best option, because the frame will prevent the bottom from sagging, which can eventually sag under the weight of the cat.
Important! Whatever the base is made of, the mattress must be removable, because it is recommended to wash it at least several times a month at high temperatures, especially if the cat is walking outside.
A beautiful and simple bed made from newspaper tubes
Recently, weaving from newspaper tubes has become more and more popular, because the work process is simple, but the result is a neat and aesthetic bed.The only drawback is that it will take a significant amount of time to manufacture. The work itself resembles the process of weaving baskets. You can make models with high sides, full-fledged houses, ordinary low oval couches or even designs in the form of an Indian wigwam. In this case, finished products are either left in their original form or painted.
To make wicker cat furniture, you need to draw the newspaper into strips of 8-10 cm.After that, the blanks are twisted into a tube using a knitting needle, but first you need to spread one end with glue, and leave the other open, because this is how the tubes are combined with each other.
The finished tubes are connected according to the principle of a snowflake: a lattice is created through which other parts pass. If you want to make the product more durable, you can take not one, but two tubes for weaving the walls.
There is always the possibility of buying a ready-made crib, but on the network you can find a large number of video master classes that explain in detail how to sew a bed for a cat with your own hands. These can be complex designs or, conversely, options that require a minimum amount of time and money. Moreover, you can use any decor that allows you to make the bed an integral part of any interior.