Every child in childhood loved to ride on a swing and feel the feeling of weightlessness, which calms and relaxes. When arranging housing, many adults dream of returning those sensations and install hanging chairs in the recreation area. Products are attached to the ceiling or on a special bracket that holds the furniture a short distance from the ground or floor. The original and unusual appearance of the piece of furniture will successfully complement the interior in any style.
- 1 What are hanging swing chairs: main features
- 2 The main options for installing hanging chairs
- 3 Basic materials used for the production of nest chairs and other product variants
- 4 Types of hanging chairs: egg, cocoon, drop and others
- 5 Hanging rattan chairs: features of use, types and techniques of weaving
- 6 Features of Ikea hanging chairs: main characteristics
- 7 Location features: how to properly attach a hanging chair
What are hanging swing chairs: main features
The first wicker hanging chairs appeared in Denmark in the middle of the 20th century. Since then, their design has not undergone major changes, but the quality of the finished products has improved significantly. The first armchairs were considered works of design art. Now in retail chains you can find options that are different in material, size and cost. The advantage of a wicker hanging swing chair is the fact that it can be used in the courtyard of a private house, on a large veranda or even on a small balcony.
It is interesting! Thanks to the ergonomic design, the furniture can be used even in a small apartment in a bedroom or children's room.
The chair itself in appearance resembles a cocoon, hammock or hanging ball, which is either suspended by a hook from the ceiling, or installed on a special durable stand. The product gained popularity due to its ability to swing in different directions and even spin around its axis, which brings back memories of a carefree childhood on a swing.
Using a hanging chair in a room, you can create an unusual design where the product will be the center of attention. Another advantage is the organization of an additional seating area that does not take up floor space.Depending on the type of interior, you can choose an armchair made of the material that best matches the style:
An additional decoration is considered to be a decorative pendant, with which the chair is mounted and held. It can be a chain, rope or another option - it all depends on the product model.
Hanging chairs: the main advantages of using
A characteristic feature of a rattan wicker hanging chair is its unusual openwork, which allows the product to look light and airy in any room. Even if the chair is densely woven, all the same, thanks to the gaps between the rods, there remains a space that does not prevent air from entering, which is especially important when relaxing outdoors on a hot day.
The ability of the chair to swing will provide additional comfort and relaxation, which is important not only for children, but also for adults. According to reviews, hanging chairs made of rattan, plastic or wood have the following advantages:
- Interior decoration. Beautiful patterns, unusual weaves, a variety of shades of finished products, as well as a combination of rods of different diameters, allow you to turn the product into a real work of art that will make any interior refined and unique.
- Practicality and ability to withstand heavy loads. Mostly rattan hanging chairs are designed for a load of about 120 kg. Products made of artificial materials or on a metal frame can withstand a weight of up to 150 kg, which will be enough for two people of average build or for an adult with a child.
- Comfort and quality rest. It is pleasant to be in a hanging chair at any age. It is no less comfortable than in a chaise lounge, but such furniture takes up much less space than soft counterparts.
- A light weight. On average, the weight of a swing chair for an apartment does not exceed 20 kg, so there will be no excessive additional load on the ceiling beams. However, when installing, it is important to take into account the weight of the person who will use it, and you should purchase the product taking into account the maximum load for which it is designed. The baby hanging hammock chair is mainly composed of textiles and weighs up to 5kg.
- Easy maintenance. If we are talking about a frameless textile product, then it is easy to wash it in a washing machine, and stationary hanging models can be wiped with a regular damp cloth or polish selected in accordance with the type of frame material. Natural wood furniture will sometimes have to be varnished to extend its life.
- Exclusivity. Chairs made to order or produced in limited quantities will emphasize the status of the premises and will be the pride of the owners.
The main options for installing hanging chairs
Hanging chairs in the interior look much more impressive and create a feeling of weightlessness in space. A chain falling from the ceiling or a long thin cable, with a competent approach, can be made an integral part of the room, and, in addition to its main function, it will play the role of a decorative item.
Hence, the main disadvantage of this arrangement follows, because it is necessary to mount a suspended nest chair so that both the ceiling and the mountings withstand the load that the structure will exert together with the person sitting in it. Other negative aspects of using ceiling-mounted chairs include:
- The inability to change the location of the item.After a hole has been made in the ceiling, it is very difficult to close it when transferring the structure, so the chair will always have to remain in one place.
- Difficult installation in the presence of a ceiling made of plasterboard or stretch canvas.
It is impossible to fix the chair on a multi-level plasterboard ceiling without violating the integrity of the coating. If there is a stretch ceiling, it is recommended to call installers who will remove the canvas, make a hole in the right place and fix it again. But in the process of rocking, it will not be possible to avoid damage to the canvas.
It is much easier to install a hanging chair in a room that is distinguished by the presence of ceiling beams. Firstly, in this case, it is not required to spoil the ceiling covering, and secondly, the presence of several beams allows you to sometimes change the position of the furniture. Another advantage is that the product can be removed at any time without leaving a trace of presence, as after ceiling installation. Before attaching the chair to the beam, it is important to make sure it can handle the additional load.
If there is a plasterboard or stretch ceiling in the room, then it is better to refuse the suspended option in favor of a hanging chair with a leg, thus avoiding damage in the ceiling and other difficult moments associated with installation.
The main advantage of a floor-standing nest chair is mobility and ease of installation, because the finished product is simply installed in any suitable place, and if necessary, it can be safely moved to where it is needed. This is especially true in the country or in a private house, when the armchair in winter serves as a cozy corner in the living room or bedroom, and in the warm season it is located in the shade of trees.
Helpful advice! The armchair on the floor bracket will allow you to change the decor in the room at any time as you wish.
When choosing a place to install a hanging chair, it is necessary to take into account in advance the area that the hanging furniture model will occupy. If the product is too close to the walls or other pieces of furniture, you will not be able to feel the full taste of the purchase, because you cannot fully swing or spin. And also you need to be careful not to hang furniture close to sources of fire: stoves, stoves or fireplaces.
Materials and tools for the manufacture of structures. Pallet furniture. Drawings and recommendations for creating furniture with your own hand.
Basic materials used for the production of nest chairs and other product variants
The material from which the product is made determines not only what kind of load it can withstand, but also how much a hanging chair costs. It should be borne in mind that hand-made products, especially those that were made to order, will always cost more. Consider the most common materials from which hanging chairs are mainly made.
Rattan. The most popular option used for weaving chairs. It is characterized by high wear resistance, pleasant and smooth to the touch. If the material has been pre-processed, the chair will not be affected by fungi or other pests. The disadvantage of rattan chairs is the low weight for which they are designed - 110-120 kg.
Tree. For the manufacture of swing chairs, bent lamellas made of natural wood are used. These products, in contrast to rattan, are characterized by great strength, and at the same time they are also natural. Basically, wood is combined with vines or textiles, with which the backs are made out.
Metal. Most often, stainless aluminum or high-quality steel is used for the production of models. The main advantage is the high carrying capacity, because the seats are designed for a weight of up to 200 kg and can often have several seats. The disadvantages of using metal are its cold surface, so the material is often combined with wood, textiles or rattan. If you choose a low-quality chair, over time, rust will ruin its appearance.
Textile. Such chairs can be soft frameless, which resemble a hammock with guides. More often, however, textiles are used as a cover, which is stretched over a metal or wooden frame, making the chair soft.
Artificial materials used for hanging hammock chairs or swings
Plastic. Acrylic acts as a material of manufacture. The chairs are made either from matte or transparent plastic. The pieces of furniture are in the shape of a ball and can often be found in modern interiors in techno, high-tech or futuristic styles. The main advantages of using are the large weight for which the products are designed (about 200 kg), a long service life.
Artificial fiber. For the manufacture of chairs, threads of various thicknesses are used, made of nylon, nylon or polyamide. The artificial material withstands moisture and sunlight well, so the products are suitable for outdoor use.
As for the design of the back, vines, rattan or nylon threads are mainly used here. After the shape of the chair is ready, the seating area is covered with textiles, or a textile cushion is laid for greater comfort. For the production of armchairs with a rigid frame, plastic or acrylic is used, which is covered with durable textiles or decorated with dense rope weaving.
Usually, the designs resemble a swing, so they will look good in a summer cottage or in a children's room, especially if natural materials such as vine or rattan are used for production.
A chair on a soft frame is more like a hammock, it is distinguished only by the size and shape of the hanging bed. A hanging wicker hammock chair is more often characterized by more compact dimensions and, unlike the classic version, is not designed for a person who is in a completely recumbent position. Separately, we can highlight soft frameless models that are made from woven threads or solid textiles. Basically, in this version, you can find children's swing chairs or hammocks, suitable for installation both in the room and on the street.
Chairs without a frame are made by weaving using the macrame technique, which you can do yourself at home. Most often, experts recommend using a checkerboard pattern for weaving, the main thing is to make sure that the knots remain flat and do not interfere with comfortable rest.
Types of hanging chairs: egg, cocoon, drop and others
Models differ not only in size or fastening method, but also in shape and material. Basically, designs are divided into the following types:
- Cocoon. Thanks to the high side walls, which make the interior space closed and detached, it is possible to rest and relax in it. A baby hanging chair-cocoon will serve as an excellent place for rocking a baby or resting an older child, because at any age the suspended state has a relaxing effect on a person. Suspended swing chairs cocoons can be harmoniously used in the arrangement of any room of various designs.
- Swing eggs, or, as they are also called, balls or nests. They are striking in their shape and appearance. Various materials are used for the production of these types of chairs, most often durable tempered glass or plastic. Looks good in ultra-modern interiors such as minimalism or hi-tech.
- A drop. The most popular model of a child seat, because its shape resembles a hut with a small window, which is used as an opening to get inside. Here the child will feel comfortable and alone. By choosing an unusual design, you can turn the chair into a fairytale castle.
It is interesting! Most models are characterized by a round shape with a diameter of 70 to 140 cm. It must be remembered that when installing the chair around it, you need to leave free space, which should be equal to at least half of its diameter. So, a chair measuring 120 cm requires free space around it at least 60 cm on each side.
It is worth highlighting separately hanging chair, equipped with backlight. Most often these are plastic or glass transparent options, where an additional light source is safely placed along the contour of the case. The illumination pattern can be varied: abstract lines, cobwebs, monograms or curls - it all depends on the wishes of the customer. In some models, you can change the backlight options.
Hanging rattan chairs: features of use, types and techniques of weaving
The most common types of rattan hanging chairs are eggs, cocoons, nests, or spheres. Thanks to the material's ability to create curved and strong axles, the body is strong and holds its shape in any position of the person sitting inside. The rattan nest chair will fit into even the most sophisticated room design and will delight the eye for a long time.
Interesting information! Rattan is a tropical liana that grows in South Asian countries, sometimes some species of African lianas are also included here. The thickest branches are used to make the frame, and the rest of the weaving is done with the small ones. In the manufacturing process, the bark is also used, with which the braid is formed. Therefore, rattan is a versatile plant that allows you not to use other materials in the manufacture of furniture.
The material is pleasant to the touch and heats up quickly when exposed to body temperature, which makes the rest in the chair as comfortable as possible. Rattan swing chairs also have disadvantages:
- High price. Products made from artificial rattan are somewhat more expensive than from natural. The high price of hanging chairs-cocoons is due to painstaking manual work and the complexity of making openwork elements.
- Natural material is cheaper than artificial material, but requires careful maintenance. To make the chair last longer, it is recommended to treat it with antifungal and anti-mite mixtures from time to time. If a chair made of natural rattan is kept outdoors all the time, it will lose color and become not as durable as it was originally.
The main differences between natural rattan and artificial material
Hanging chairs made of natural rattan are distinguished by a minimum number of joints, which significantly increases the strength of the frame. Outwardly, the chairs are very beautiful, this is due to the rich color palette, which makes it possible to produce models of various shades. If you want to have a more saturated shade of the product, it is recommended to apply glossy varnishes to the surface.
The main thing that you need to pay attention to when using the chair is the exactingness of the products:
- Natural rattan does not tolerate excessive moisture or excessive drying out.If the chair is likely to dry out, it should be slightly moistened with a spray bottle.
- In order for the chair to please with its appearance for a long period, the lacquer coating should be constantly updated.
- It is not recommended to mount chairs near heating devices, including fireplaces.
Only a specialist will be able to distinguish hanging chairs made of artificial rattan from products made of natural material after feeling the product. At the same time, according to its characteristics, artificial rattan has a large number of advantages. It is more flexible, durable and able to withstand the effects of both the scorching sun and high humidity.
Hanging chairs for summer cottages, made of artificial rattan, are most often found on sale, but there is one drawback - a significant price for finished products. If you have experience in weaving, you can purchase an artificial rattan and try to make the chair yourself.
Helpful advice! To make hanging chairs made of artificial rattan last longer, they are recommended to be stored indoors in winter. An unheated building is also suitable for this, but with low humidity. A damp storage building will not work.
Features of Ikea hanging chairs: main characteristics
The main difference between Ikea's hanging chairs-eggs, like other products of the company's model range, is the lack of options for floor products. The refusal to manufacture support posts is due to the fact that they occupy a rather large area and do not allow compact storage of the finished product, and the main motto of the company is low price and small packaging, which allows you to minimize logistics costs. At the same time, all chairs are equipped with a reliable suspension bracket. The main advantages of using Ikea furniture:
- Reliability. Suspended chairs-cocoons Ikea are designed for heavy weight. Products with a fabric frame can withstand a load of up to 100 kg, and chairs made of artificial rattan are designed for a load of up to 200 kg, provided they are properly attached to the ceiling.
- Safety. Despite the fact that artificial materials are used in the manufacture, such as polyurethane, polypropylene or polyester, the products are considered harmless and hypoallergenic, which allows installation in children's rooms.
- Laconicism and simplicity. Due to the design features, the armchairs are not suitable for decorating classic interiors, but they will become an actual accent element in modern bedrooms, living rooms or children's rooms.
- Price. The cost of finished products purchased from the manufacturer is slightly lower than the average in the retail network, and the company gives a guarantee for the goods.
It is interesting! The only drawback of Ikea furniture is a small selection of models.
The chairs of the Swedish company are popular, so pirated versions are often found. In order not to acquire a fake, you need to know the main features of the original:
- Warranty. For a large number of furniture, the company gives a guarantee of up to 10 years, if there is a receipt and a warranty card, in the event of a production hut, stores will offer to change the product or return the money. If there is no such guarantee, it is a fake.
- Seriality of products. Ikea produces all furniture in the form of series, which are sets of furniture for the living room, bedroom or nursery. If the product does not have a series, it is most likely not the original. Hanging chairs are often densely woven and compact. The average price of hanging chairs is from 9900 rubles.
- Special design. Ikea chairs are distinguished by clear contours, dense textiles and lack of decor. Basically, the products have pronounced proportions and a simple style.
Model range of hanging chairs: price and short description
The most popular version of a hammock chair is the Ekorre model, which attracts with its unusual design. In appearance, the product resembles a frameless textile armchair, supplemented by an inflatable pillow, the main feature of which is the ability to adjust the rigidity due to different degrees of pumping.
Initially, the model was designed for children, but over time it has gained popularity among adults. The product is mounted on a ceiling hook or mounting brackets that come with the product, which allows installation not only on the ceiling, but also on the wall using a special brace. The hammock is easy to machine wash and the pillow is simply wiped off with a damp cloth. The main advantage is the low price (from 2200 rubles).
Interesting information! Mounts for the Ekorre model are made of galvanized steel and are used to install most of the Ikea suspension chairs. The retail price of the mounts is from 200 rubles.
Another popular model of the Ikea hanging chair is the Swing, which is distinguished by its high strength: the base of the frame is steel hollow tubes, and the back and seat are made of artificial rattan. Thanks to the use of high-quality materials, you can use the product both in an apartment, and on a veranda or on the street. Additional comfort is provided by the curved narrow backrest and raised seating sides. The main color options:
The egg chair is designed for ceiling mounting only, although strong tree branches can be used for installation in a summer cottage. The price of the hanging chair-egg Ikea is 13,300 rubles.
Location features: how to properly attach a hanging chair
The main safety requirements apply only to chairs that differ in the ceiling mount type. In this case, it is necessary to mount the product to a monolithic base or a solid beam floor that can withstand a weight of 150-200 kg.
The ceiling hook must be properly secured with special anchor bolts. The safest and most reliable chemical anchor is considered, which is firmly installed in any type of material, even if it contains pores or cavities. If possible, it is better to plan an interior with a hanging chair even during the renovation process, when you can securely fix the base in the ceiling, and then hide it using a plasterboard or tension structure.
Do not forget about the danger: if the mount breaks loose, it will lead to the destruction of part of the ceiling. The main rooms in which it is appropriate to install a hanging chair:
- Living room. In this case, the chair should match the color of the furniture already installed here. A hanging chair on a chain looks especially beautiful in a living room with a high ceiling.
- Bedroom. It is better to place the product closer to the window to organize a comfortable resting place. The bedroom armchair should ideally match the color of the textiles.
- Children's. It is important to choose a model made of hypoallergenic materials. The frame and other components must be easy to care for to prevent dust build-up and dirt absorption. Materials must be resistant to moisture and washing.
- Veranda. Most often, hanging products are found here, because there is nothing more pleasant than relaxing and rocking in a chair in the fresh air indoors overlooking a garden with living plants and flowers. Rattan swing chairs on a plank floor will be a great addition to any home.
A hanging chair is a modern and original way of arranging a comfortable seating area. A large selection of models, colors, shapes and sizes will help you install a suitable option in any room or directly in the country in the shade of trees. The ergonomic and comfortable shape of the chair, as well as the state of swaying and weightlessness, are the key parameters that will ensure comfort and relaxation.