Everyone in life has repeatedly had the need to find out the temperature outside the window. Many people are interested in this indicator several times a day, while the goal may be both an everyday desire to understand how warm to dress today, and a production need. For this, an electronic thermometer with a remote sensor is needed.
- 1 Scope of use of electronic thermometers for measuring air temperature
- 2 Electronic thermometer with a remote sensor: device and principle of operation
- 3 Features and useful functions of outdoor window thermometers
- 4 Who benefits from buying an electronic thermometer with a remote sensor with advanced functionality
- 5 Varieties of electronic thermometers with a remote sensor
- 6 Using electronic thermometers with a remote sensor for a bath
- 7 How to make an electronic thermometer with your own hands
- 8 Electronic thermometers: job reviews
Scope of use of electronic thermometers for measuring air temperature
This digital device is practical and easy to use. Its main purpose is to measure the temperature regime both inside the room and outside it.
First of all, electronic thermometers are relevant in everyday life: they allow you to easily and quickly find out the temperature outside. In addition, modern window thermometers for plastic windows fit perfectly into the design of today's apartments, in contrast to the old pre-revolutionary thermometers.
In addition to home use, these thermometers are used:
- in technological rooms;
- in aquariums;
- in tanks where animals are kept;
- in warehouses;
- for baths and saunas.
One of the important qualities of electronic thermometers with a remote sensor for home and industrial needs is the ability to continuously monitor the temperature regime both indoors and outside, which is especially important for the safety of products, maintaining the vital functions of some animals and creating a comfortable microclimate.
Useful advice! If you need to measure the temperature not outside the window or within the room, but of a specific object, pay attention to infrared electronic thermometers: they determine the temperature by simply pointing at the object of interest.
Electronic thermometer with a remote sensor: device and principle of operation
In order for the use of this device to be convenient and bring maximum benefit, it is worth understanding the principles of its functioning.
How to use electronic thermometers with a remote sensor
The package includes two parts:
- The main block. It is equipped with a display and is located in the room.
- Remote sensor. For efficient operation, it should be located no more than 65 m from the main unit.
The sensitive thermocouple is enclosed in a rubber, plastic or metal jacket. From it, temperature pulses are sent to the main unit. In wired models, the wire length is 1-3 m, but recently wireless options have become more and more popular, where a radio transmitter with a thermocouple is located outside.
A miniature sensor is pushed into the street by drilling a small hole in a wooden window frame, or through a rubber clip in the case of plastic doors. Often, the sensor is taken out through the rubber seal of the plastic sash and is attached to the window glass using a suction cup. At the same time, the main sensor can be easily and conveniently placed in a room on a windowsill, table, rack, or even hung on the wall.
The principle of placing the thermometer on the refrigerator is similar. The body of the device is attached to the refrigerator using a suction cup or next to the refrigerator, while the sensor is placed inside the chamber.
Features of the operation of electronic thermometers with a remote sensor
Due to the high sensitivity of outdoor window thermometers for plastic windows, the measurement error is minimal. You can see the measurement data on the display of the main unit. Thus, an additional convenience of a digital outdoor thermometer is the absence of the need to peer into a mercury thermometer, trying to distinguish readings by a barely noticeable column. On an outdoor window thermometer with a remote sensor, all information is clearly and clearly displayed on a high-contrast display in your room.
Useful advice! When buying an outdoor electronic thermometer with an external sensor, pay attention to the models equipped with a humidity sensor. Thus, you can track changes in this indicator and will be warned about the likelihood of precipitation.
Features and useful functions of outdoor window thermometers
When purchasing a thermometer, pay attention to its characteristics and additional features that make digital window thermometers more convenient and functional.
Features and benefits of electronic outdoor thermometers
Thanks to the achievements of modern technologies, digital thermometers are able to work under different conditions and are as convenient as possible in everyday life:
- household electronic thermometers operate over a wide range of temperatures. For the indoor main unit, the operating range is from -10 to + 50 ° C, the outdoor sensor maintains its performance at temperatures from -50 to + 70 ° C. This allows the use of thermometers in all climatic zones of Russia;
- you do not have to worry about the safety and accuracy of the device readings under any weather conditions: thanks to the sealed case, the sensor is not afraid of snow, wind, rain and the scorching sun;
- It is interesting that the thermocouple radio transmitter can be installed not only outdoors. If you need to measure the temperature in a room or inside another object, you can place a capsule with a sensor in a greenhouse, garage, cellar, workshop and even a refrigerator;
- wireless electronic outdoor thermometers with a remote sensor can be easily placed in any convenient place, they do not need to be near a window;
- modern devices do not just record the temperature, but carry out full monitoring and analyze the data obtained.
Additional functions of electronic digital thermometers with a remote sensor
Modern devices have various additional features that expand the functionality of the thermometer. When choosing a thermometer, these characteristics can play an important role.
|Determination of the probability of ice||At temperatures ranging from -1 to -3 ° C, the device warns you about the increased likelihood of ice on the street.|
|Data analysis||The thermometer records the maximum and minimum temperatures and records these data into memory.|
|USB connection||Through the USB port, you can connect the interface to your computer, copy, analyze and process the received data and make reports based on the information in the device's memory.|
|Additional indicators||The thermometer can be equipped with a clock, built-in alarm clock and calendar, combining in one device all the useful indicators we need every day. Among the best multifunctional models are rst window thermometers, equipped with a clock and smart alarm clock.|
|Determination of moisture level||The humidity indicator allows you to predict the likelihood of precipitation outside.|
Useful advice! When buying a digital thermometer, pay attention to the full functionality of the device and do not take too "smart" models if you do not need all their capabilities. So you will significantly save money, because simpler models are much cheaper than multifunctional ones.
If you have a need for data analysis, make sure that the selected model is equipped with a USB port and the ability to process the recorded values. If your only purchase goal is to find out the temperature outside, choose the simplest concise thermometer model.
Who benefits from buying an electronic thermometer with a remote sensor with advanced functionality
Buying a window thermometer equipped with additional features can be useful for:
- amateur forecasters: without leaving your home, you can monitor all weather indicators and receive high-precision data;
- weather-dependent people: early prediction of weather changes will help predict well-being and adjust plans or take the necessary medications on time;
- gardeners: understanding the nuances of weather conditions will allow you to take care of the plants on time, choose the best time for planting or harvest;
- extreme: understanding the upcoming weather conditions will help you choose the best day for paragliding, surfing and other activities that depend on the strength of the wind;
- people whose work and hobbies depend on weather conditions: you will be able to make plans in time and choose a good day to achieve your goals.
Varieties of electronic thermometers with a remote sensor
One of the important advantages of such thermometers is their portability. You can not only place the main display anywhere in the room and change the location according to your mood and need, but even carry it with you.
Most popular options:
- Desktop electronic thermometer.You put the stylish display on a table, windowsill or shelf and always get the information you need quickly and easily.
- Wall mounted electronic thermometer. In this way, you can hang the display on the wall. Modern models fit well into any interior, variants of thermometers with a clock are especially convenient in this context.
- Portable electronic thermometer. Such models, in particular, are in the rst line of digital thermometers: they are no larger than a regular smartphone in size, easily fit in a pocket and, if necessary, are convenient to carry with you.
Useful advice! Remember that even portable thermometers are limited to a radius of 60 m from the sensor - it is within this distance that the device functions.
Using electronic thermometers with a remote sensor for a bath
The peculiarity of the bath or sauna in conditions of high temperature and humidity within the premises. Therefore, it is extremely important to accurately measure and maintain the specified temperature. For this purpose, electronic thermometers for measuring temperatures with an external sensor are ideal.
Advantages of thermometers with external sensors for baths
Electronic thermometers with external sensors make the following characteristics ideal for baths:
- resistance to temperature extremes and very high temperatures;
- adaptability to high humidity;
Meteorological stations for home: the possibilities of "smart forecasters"
Types and capabilities of devices. Criteria for the selection of meteorological complexes. Rating of wireless models. Where to buy a weather station.
- high strength, protection against mechanical damage;
- if accidentally touched, the body of the device will not leave burns on the skin - it does not heat up to such an extent;
- minimum error rate.
Features of thermometers with external sensors for baths
A variety of models allows you to choose the option that is optimal for your purposes, but there are several general recommendations to help you choose the optimal model:
- a remote sensor for a bath thermometer can be wired or wireless: in the second case, information from the sensor is sent to the main unit using radio waves;
- in the bath, an important indicator is not only temperature, but also air humidity - to measure it, pay attention to the thermometer-hygrometer;
- pay attention to the additional functions of bath thermometers: for example, the device can notify you with an audible signal when the set temperature has been reached;
- in the case of a remote sensor, the sensor itself is installed in the steam room, and a thermometer with indicators is mounted at the entrance - in the rest room or dressing room; thus, the temperature inside the room can be found out even at the entrance to the bath;
- electronic thermometers can withstand temperatures from -50 to + 200 ° C, which allows them to function without interference in a steam room;
- many models allow up to three wireless sensors to be connected to one main display;
- the distance at which the sensors transmit information to the main body of the device - up to 40 m;
- bath thermometers are made of heat-resistant plastic and steel, so they are not afraid of the extreme conditions of the steam room;
- the error of readings of electronic thermometers does not exceed 0.5 ° C.
What is a humidity sensor for?
For bathing procedures, not only temperature is of great importance, but also the indicator of air humidity. Therefore, knowing both of these characteristics, you can create an optimal microclimate in the bath.
At a high humidity, the air temperature should not exceed 40 ° C. In the case of low humidity levels, the temperature can reach 80 ° C.
Bath thermometers: comparison of manufacturers and types
Each of the models has its own characteristics. Pay attention to those that are relevant for work in conditions of high temperature and humidity and are convenient for use in a bath:
- electronic RST models are highly resistant to high temperatures;
- Sawo thermometers are characterized by a variety of models and shapes, while the cases of all products are made of high-quality wood - cedar, oak, pine and other species;
- when choosing between capillary, pointer and digital options, you should prefer the purchase of a digital thermometer with an external sensor - they are more expensive than other models, but they are distinguished by safety, clarity and the greatest accuracy of readings.
Features of installing bath thermometers
In order for the thermometer to function properly, and the readings differ in accuracy, follow these rules:
- Mount the thermometer on the wall at a height of about one and a half meters.
- Select a location that is equidistant from both heat sources and doors and windows that are sources of cold.
Useful advice! For maximum accuracy of readings, install several thermometers at different heights - after all, the air temperature differs depending on the height.
How to make an electronic thermometer with your own hands
If you feel a craving for invention, you can master the creation of a digital thermometer with your own hands. As a result, you will get a working device connected to the computer through the port. Thus, you can both maintain the required temperature regime in the aquarium, incubator, storage and other premises, as well as track and further analyze changes in the weather outside.
Moreover, creating a digital thermometer with a remote sensor with your own hands allows you to connect several sensors to one two- or three-wire line. As a result, you minimize costs while being able to monitor and regulate temperature conditions in multiple locations at once.
What you need to assemble an electronic thermometer with a remote sensor with your own hands
To successfully create a device, you will need:
- thermal sensor - for example, Dallas SD1820, one or more;
- two Schottky diodes;
- Zener diodes at 3.9 V, 6.2 V and 5.6V;
- one diode 1N4148;
- one capacitor 10μF at 16V;
- one resistor 1.5 kOhm 0.25 W;
- connector housing;
- nine-pin female connector of the COM port.
Useful advice! Use zener diodes of minimum power - they are characterized by maximum compactness.
With the proper skill, the installation of parts can be done directly on the connector - this option is the most convenient and practical.
The result is a thermometer that operates over a temperature range of -55 ° C to + 125 ° C with an absolute conversion error of less than 0.5 ° C. The maximum full conversion time is approximately 750 ms.
The device of the 1-Wire interface node allows addressing an unlimited number of such devices on one single-wire line. Single-wire parasitic power supply allows the instrument to operate without an external power source.
The required voltage value to power the device through a separate external output is from 3 to 5.5 V. The thermometer is placed in a TO-92 transistor case.
Electronic thermometer software
The finished device does not require sensor calibration. It remains to connect the sensor to the computer port, after which the temperature measurement program is needed.Temp.Keeper is a suitable option: it allows you to monitor the temperature regime of various objects and environments, depending on the placement of the sensors.
Useful advice! Making such a device with your own hands requires some experience in the design of such mechanisms, as well as the corresponding spare parts. Therefore, in the absence of relevant experience, it would be better to buy an electronic outdoor thermometer, in which case you will be sure of its serviceability and efficient operation.
Electronic thermometers: job reviews
Before buying an electronic device, it's important to weigh the pros and cons. And here you should pay attention to the experience of real people using the device for a long time.
According to user reviews, there are two main aspects that are advised to consider when buying:
- Make sure the thermometer you are purchasing is moisture resistant. Unfortunately, not all models have this characteristic, which is of fundamental importance if you are going to use an electronic thermometer to measure the temperature outside.
- When buying, ask how long the battery lasts. Learn how to remove and insert the batteries so you can easily replace them when needed. It is evidenced by the fading of the display digits. If there are two batteries, check which one is dead and replace it - it often happens that only one of the batteries needs to be replaced, which saves money.
Of the useful functions, from their own experience, users distinguish:
- built-in hygrometer for measuring air humidity outside the window, because without this indicator it is difficult to maintain a comfortable indoor climate; however, most thermometers measure air humidity only indoors, so a thermometer with an external sensor is relevant to you;
- a household home thermometer with a hygrometer allows you to navigate much more accurately in weather conditions and will become a real home weather station, because the indicators in your area may differ significantly from the one where meteorologists measure;
- the presence of a hygrometer allows you to track climate change outdoors during the day and, for example, choose the right moment to ventilate the room;
- By comparing humidity readings, you can determine the source of dampness in the room.
Thus, modern thermometers with a remote sensor are not limited to simply measuring the temperature outdoors or indoors and allow you to analyze weather indicators in any conditions.